Star Wars movie fans...

Unmoderated, but let's be reasonable.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Star Wars movie fans...

Postby Galelor » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:46 pm

Check out this link of the R2-D2 mail boxes!
I didn't get a chance to read much about it because i am working, but i think they are pushing these mail boxes to promote the Star Wars stamp series that is coming out.
http://www.frappr.com/r2d2

link takes a minute to open.
Galelor
Hooker Extraordinar

Veteran -

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby WaringMcMarrin » Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:54 pm

WaringMcMarrin

Veteran -

Server: The Tribunal(Ayonae Ro)

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Kamion » Tue Mar 27, 2007 6:51 am

This month I finally watched Star Wars. I liked it enough to watch the other two (worthwhile) movies.

However, I still don't understand Star Wars obsessions. Yes, I enjoyed the movies - but I have no desire to watch them again, buy any merchandise, dress up as a wookie irl, or watch the latest three Star Wars. Can someone explain to me why so many get obsessed with the movies?
Kamion

Warrior Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Cronikk » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:14 am

/shrug. Replace 'Star Wars' with 'EverQuest' and ask the same question. Probably as many different answers as there are obsessives.
Cronikk

Server: The Magnificent 7th

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:45 am

Cronikk wrote:/shrug. Replace 'Star Wars' with 'EverQuest' and ask the same question. Probably as many different answers as there are obsessives.

And I still have no desire to dress up as an Iksar Monk or a Froglok Shaman.

Maybe it the Magina's who want to do that stuff.

Wonder if Tharkis tries to dress up as a Pretty Princess Kitty in RL *shiver*. Hmmm some things are better off NOT known.
Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash
Ferocious Vie

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Tue Mar 27, 2007 9:34 am

Kamion, starwars came out like 25 years ago. The visuals were really something special then. The sound was a whole level up from previous quality.

Sitting in a cinema at the start when the star destroyer came overhead and the rumble was all around you. And the star destroyer kept on coming giving you a feel for the size of the ship. And then it kept on coming and the feel of scale developed.

Darth Vader the 1st time you saw him was impressive, very impressive.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Kamion » Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:42 am

Veril wrote:Kamion, starwars came out like 25 years ago. The visuals were really something special then. The sound was a whole level up from previous quality.

Sitting in a cinema at the start when the star destroyer came overhead and the rumble was all around you. And the star destroyer kept on coming giving you a feel for the size of the ship. And then it kept on coming and the feel of scale developed.

I've been impressed by movies too, but I never became obsessed with a movie. At the most, I can watch a single movie 3-4 times (and still enjoy it) and talk williningly talk about it to others for 0-2 hours of life. In fact, having desire to talk about something is a big reason why people act out of obsessions -- if you wear your obsession on your sleeve (figuratively or literally), than you'll drawl people who want to talk about it.

Maybe the movie was just so impressive as Veril is suggesting, but I still don't understand how one could be engrossed for years by three movies. And the flip side of the overly-impressive arguement: there weren't lots of people who expressed their obsession with other revolutionary movies, ie Citizen Kane etc.

/shrug. Replace 'Star Wars' with 'EverQuest' and ask the same question.

It'ld be hard to compare EQ obsessions to Star Wars obsessions.

But as far as quality goes... Star Wars is superior to EQ relative to its medium, but EQ is on a superior medium.
Kamion

Warrior Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Bethiana » Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:03 pm

Ughbash wrote:And I still have no desire to dress up as an Iksar Monk or a Froglok Shaman.

Maybe it the Ma[n]gina's who want to do that stuff.

No, I just want to dress in my grandmother's old clothes and collect her social security.
World of Warcraft:
Bethiana , 70 Draenei Shamangina
<Immortal>, Lightbringer

Kether-Eci wrote:You *could* throw in more A-Team quotes. Everyone knows the strength of an argument increases exponentially with the amount of referances they make correlating themselves with the A-Team. Maybe if you were to wear dozens of gold chains around your neck that would help too.
Bethiana wrote:I pity the fool that has no sense of humor.
Amanensia wrote:Congratulations on being perfect.
Bethiana

Server: Lightbringer

Postby Galelor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:38 pm

Kamion wrote:
Veril wrote:Kamion, starwars came out like 25 years ago. The visuals were really something special then. The sound was a whole level up from previous quality.

I've been impressed by movies too, but I never became obsessed with a movie. At the most, I can watch a single movie 3-4 times (and still enjoy it) and talk williningly talk about it to others for 0-2 hours of life. In fact, having desire to talk about something is a big reason why people act out of obsessions -- if you wear your obsession on your sleeve (figuratively or literally), than you'll drawl people who want to talk about it.

Maybe the movie was just so impressive as Veril is suggesting, but I still don't understand how one could be engrossed for years by three movies. And the flip side of the overly-impressive arguement: there weren't lots of people who expressed their obsession with other revolutionary movies, ie Citizen Kane etc.

/shrug. Replace 'Star Wars' with 'EverQuest' and ask the same question.

It'ld be hard to compare EQ obsessions to Star Wars obsessions.

But as far as quality goes... Star Wars is superior to EQ relative to its medium, but EQ is on a superior medium.

Some people sit in museums for hours staring at the same painting. I don't get it. I like art, but hours looking at one piece? I like star wars, and I have watched the original trilogy to many times to count. I have NOT dressed up, or gone to a fan fares. Though, admittedly, it sounds interesting to see.

I don't know how old you are, but Star wars was revolutionary when it released. Outside of having some of the best special effects/sound in movie making, the story was VERY compelling. It also blew Sci Fi up into becoming somewhat/more social acceptable (instead of just being nerdy.) DOZENS of movies have followed, in some way shape or form, in the steps of star wars. IE Visuals, sound, alien looks, the aged look of the ships (instead of being squeaky clean. Personally i am of the mind that some of the effects they used in the original star wars trilogy blows away some of the CGI in motion pictures today.) ECT. Also, as V said, Darth Vader was/is one of the most impressive villains of all time. NOTHING previously compared to him. Also, the cast seemed to work really well together, and they did a great job of marketing the film.
Star Wars created a whole new world on screen. A world, such as this, had only previously been convincingly read in books. This was something entirely new and visual.

A different perspective- A New Hope was released during the cold war (which was still raging in 79.) People found that they could very easily accept being part of the good side fighting a giant opponent which was scary and always looming in the distance. This was somewhat intrinsic due to how they lived their everyday lives. Also, it covers the struggle of an underdog. Even in Roman times people in mass had a soft spot for the under dog (IE the way gladiatorial games were sometimes displayed/conducted.)

Also, after Empire Strikes Back, people had new ideas of how fictional movies could end. Up until this time, MOST pop culture movies ended with the good guy winning the day (I say most and in no way mean all.) Empire Strikes Back was a whole new beast. The bad guys had the upper hand (no pun intended... *wink wink*.) The plot twists were amazingly well done, and another thing that wasn't not as common in motion pictures of the day.

Honestly, I could write a 50 page dissertation about why Star Wars was such a success and why it is now such a cult classic. That would require me to further limit my already limited free time, use a spelling and grammar checker, research, and proof read... Really though, if you want to know why Star Wars was so popular, you should do some research on your own. I am sure the web can supply all that you ask for.
Places to start: read about the history of sound/special effects, the history of Sci Fi, the social political atmosphere at the time, the tidings of everyday life, check out what else was in pop culture at the time, look at the interactions and group dynamics of the star wars cast, and have an open mind. You may not agree with why it became so popular, but you will have some idea as to the underlying reasoning.

And again, some people sit in the museum for hours at a time looking at only one painting. Everyone has their own tastes.
Galelor
Hooker Extraordinar

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Kruzar » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:52 pm

For me...Stars Wars was the first movie I ever saw.. meaning that my parents took me to it when I was a wee little baby.. and suprisingly I still have sensory memories of my first time seeing it. I can fully remember seeing Empire and Jedi on the big screen, and I remember wanting to name my new puppy R2-D2 when I was very young. (My parents didn't go for it then...)

The series is still one of those few movies that I have seen 100 times and will watch if it is on.. to me it has a comfort level built into it... and on a personal level I know that if I ever have trouble sleeping putting on Star Wars has me asleep in a very short time. The music is that soothing to me.

Have I dressed up for a Star Wars movie premiere.. yes I have. Did I wait in line to get tickets to the prequels.. yuppers..

Would I do it again.. sure... I consider this movie one of those few cultural things that people in many generations can still relate too.. :)

Yeah.. I know.. I'm a dork.. chuckles
Kruzar- Kitty Rogue of 85 Seasons
Kyleanea- Barbarian Shaman of 75 Seasons
Kruzar

Rogue Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Galelor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:58 pm

Kruzar wrote:For me...Stars Wars was the first movie I ever saw.. meaning that my parents took me to it when I was a wee little baby.. and suprisingly I still have sensory memories of my first time seeing it. I can fully remember seeing Empire and Jedi on the big screen, and I remember wanting to name my new puppy R2-D2 when I was very young. (My parents didn't go for it then...)

The series is still one of those few movies that I have seen 100 times and will watch if it is on.. to me it has a comfort level built into it... and on a personal level I know that if I ever have trouble sleeping putting on Star Wars has me asleep in a very short time. The music is that soothing to me.

Have I dressed up for a Star Wars movie premiere.. yes I have. Did I wait in line to get tickets to the prequels.. yuppers..

Would I do it again.. sure... I consider this movie one of those few cultural things that people in many generations can still relate too.. :)

Yeah.. I know.. I'm a dork.. chuckles

We had taped a copy onto the beta recorded when I was young. I wore the tape out lol...

Were the guy in the chicagoland area that dressed up as Darth Vader for one of the premeirs? The guy I am talking about also happened to rob the theater while in costume...
Galelor
Hooker Extraordinar

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Kamion » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:37 pm

Kruzar wrote:Did I wait in line to get tickets to the prequels.. yuppers..

Were the prequels as disappointing as people say?
Kamion

Warrior Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Galelor » Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Kamion wrote:
Kruzar wrote:Did I wait in line to get tickets to the prequels.. yuppers..

Were the prequels as disappointing as people say?

They are geared a bit more for all audiences with certain bits being geared at younger kids. Over all the story was good, but for the old school fans it was not anywhere near as good as the original trilogy. They are good movies none-the-less, and the CGI stuff is fairly neat too. episode 1 is the worst of the 3 newer movies, but i don't feel any of them developed the metamorphic change from skywalker to vader well enough.
Galelor
Hooker Extraordinar

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Samanna » Tue Mar 27, 2007 7:12 pm

IMO...

The original trilogy compares to Warner Bros. cartoons in that they are first and foremost targeted to a savvy adult audience; I believe that, because they don't talk down to the audience, they appeal to younger viewers as well.

The prequels compare to Disney cartoons, in that they are dumbed down for the lowest common denominator, and are so unappealing that, if given dvds, I would cherish them less than those old AOL cds we used to get spammed with.
Your one and only, historically accurate Samanna, baby!
Samanna
Retired

Veteran -----

Server: Prexus

Shaman Main

Postby WaringMcMarrin » Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:36 pm

New stamp in the making so go vote for your favorite.
WaringMcMarrin

Veteran -

Server: The Tribunal(Ayonae Ro)

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Return to The Grey