[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Assist Healing Guide

Assist Healing Guide

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Assist Healing Guide

Postby Beafly » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:06 am

Being one of the three priest classes one of our responsibilities is to assist heal. This is a short tutorial on how to do this as efficiently as I know how. If anyone would like to add to or modify this just post below.

Requirements:
Target Next NPC Key Bound
By default your Target Next NPC Key is not bound to a key on your keyboard. You need to set this in order to use this technique. You bind the key under your options menu under the key mapping section. I use the "," (comma) key for Target Next NPC, but you can use whatever you feel is convenient. Pressing this key will target the mob that is the next furthest away from the one you currently have targeted (in front) relative to yourself. Once it reaches the furthest away, the next press will cycle back to the closest mob. I suggest you go find a clump of non-agro mobs somewhere and hit this key a bunch of times to get a feel for how it works.
Generic Assist Hotekey
Create a social with the text "/assist" in it. Put it in an easily accessable bank somewhere where. The /assist command switches your target, to the target of your target. Said another way, the /assist command will allow you to target whatever is currently in your Health of Target's Target box. This is a great hotkey to have anyway, but we'll put it to special use in a second.
Health of Target's Target (HoTT)
This is a group/raid leader ability that allows you to see the health of your target's target. For example, if you target the Boss mob in front of you. Your Health of Target's Target box will show you the health of the Player currently Tanking that mob.

So, those three things are the key to assist healing. Here is how I do it.

Multiple Mob Assist Healing Flow
I use this pattern to assist heal while we're moving around, or when we have mutltiple adds in camp on boss events. This allows you to cycle around the available targets and see who needs heals and doesn't. If there are tanks in HoTT that are over 75pct health and appear to be getting heals, I usually move on to the next target. If I ever see a caster or DPS class in HoTT I usually consider them high risk and go ahead and assist heal regardless of their current health.

Boss Mob Assist Healing
I use this pattern when the main tank dies, during a tank change, or any time agro is bouncing around on a hard hitting mob. The idea is to wait for someone who can take the pounding to show up on HoTT and then get them heals as quickly as possible. Don't even bother with assist healing casters/dps in these instances, 90pct or more of the time they are dead before your heal will land, and the other 10pct they are dead before your second heal will land. Wait for the big boys to show up and take the pounding. I'll often use my AA heal Union of Spirits on these occasions becuse it is instant cast 3k heal and puts a big heal over time on the tank that stacks with everything else. I'll follow with Ancient heal, and while my gems refresh I'll usually click either my Tacvi spear or my PoR BP for maximum heal per second. The idea is to keep someone alive long enough for the clerics to get back into a rytthm and prevent a total whipe.
85 Webmaster of
Beafly

Veteran -

Server: Tunare

Postby joks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:08 am

- Power Paladin
- Singing Sidekick
- an Everquest guild on Antonius Bayle
joks

Server: Antonius Bayle

Postby Kianor » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:30 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Ughbash » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:22 am

Last edited by Ughbash on Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Kianor » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Beafly » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:35 am

The post is pretty basic I agree. We have some new recruits that needed the information so I crafted the guide for them and figured it was decent enough to cross-post here.

You may take offense Ug, but I think your thinking is flawed.

If you're accidentally picking up and dropping agro from DPS and I happen to be your group healer you'll definitely get a heal, since that is my job. That I can agree with totally. But then, you'll also be reminded to cycle attack if the tank can't stay ahead of you (sounds like a whole new thread of arguments).

However, if we're talking about an un-planned tank change on a boss type mob, monks shouldn't expect any patch/assist/main tank healers to come off target and burn heals/aa's/clickies on keeping them alive any more than any other non-tank class. At any millisecond the next tank in the line (or knight if the line is disintegrated) should be poping furious/defensive/whatever, smashing his AE taunt/taunt key and bellowing/clicking/stunning/dumping on the hate to get control the situation. THAT is the guy that I want to keep alive by pouring heals on him until the clerics catch up and stabilize the situation. Our DPS classes are actually expected to be watching HoTT and during a tank change, back off, not stay engaged.

As a well geared (self proclaimed ac whoring) monk I'm sure that you are indeed very survivable. You have some great tools to survive with crazy amounts of dps coming in for a short period of time and then shed agro and live. But you are not a tank that can solidify agro, level the dps spikes and mitigate large amounts of damage over time. I'm sure there are cases where monks have saved the day by tanking the last 10 percent after all the tanks are down, etc. It is great that you guys can do that stuff. But those should be rare exceptions, not the normal way of doing business for a raid guild.
Beafly

Veteran -

Postby Ughbash » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:50 pm

Ughbash

Veteran --

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Kianor » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:04 pm

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Ughbash » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:16 pm

Ughbash

Veteran --

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Kianor » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:44 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Veril » Thu Feb 22, 2007 7:09 am

Veril

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:07 am

Ughbash

Veteran --

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:33 am

Veril

Veteran -

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Beafly » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:15 pm

Beafly

Veteran -

Postby Gordaon » Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:14 am

Gordaon
Guild Leader of
Gordaon

Postby Kianor » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:45 pm

We had a ranger tank Ture at one point... I think he lasted most of the fight. It was mostly for fun - it's not a very interesting fight otherwise.
Kianor

Veteran -

Shaman Main

Postby Beafly » Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:58 pm

Beafly

Veteran -

Postby Ughbash » Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:50 pm

Ughbash

Veteran --