[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Slows

Slows

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Slows

Postby Azusis » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:21 pm

Hey everyone,

While raiding in Anguish the other night a fellow shaman mentioned that slowing raid mobs was 'essentially useless' because of the mitigation. I personally spend a majority of my time healing / curing / and getting raid mobs slowed - am I doing the wrong thing here? I browsed around and couldn't find anything on the subject. Thanks for the help.

85 Iksar Shaman
Azusis

Server: Stromm

Shaman Main

Re: Slows

Postby Kriyn Nutzforcatnip » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:44 pm

For Anguish the only mobs I slow are the "boss" fights that take more than 2mins to complete. Trash mobs and aug mobs die too fast to justify getting slowed imo.
I'm ok, how are you?

Rodcet Nife (Quellious)
Kriyn Nutzforcatnip

Shaman Main
Rogue - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Azusis » Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:15 am

Agreed - usually on trash I just use a Tortugone's Drowse, if anything. But the other shaman I was talking to was specifically talking about the 'boss' mobs of the zone.
Azusis

Shaman Main

Postby Khauruk » Sun Aug 03, 2008 1:10 am

Some mobs have pitiful melee dps (Hanvar), some are very short fights (Keldovan), etc,.... If you have enough healers, and tanks that are overgeared for the encounter (any high end group tank nowadays), slow's kinda unnecessary. Still useful, but not needed for the encounter.
Khauruk

Server: Luclin

Postby Veril » Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:53 am

Trash aren't worth slowing in old content. Heck, most trash in crystallos aren't worth slowing they die so fast.

I always believe in slowing boss mobs. Even though it is heavily mitigated it does have a noticable effect.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby olts » Sun Aug 03, 2008 7:24 am

being a tank i can assure you that slow helps on boss mobs. even if its not as much as it used to be - and even if ppl are overgeared. id agree that ya dont really need it in anguish anymore, but beyond its very handy. demi bosses for example put out a lot more dps than any anguish boss. and from there it scales upwards :-)

c.
olts

Paladin Main

Postby Unmei » Mon Aug 04, 2008 9:21 am

Even a heavily mitigated slow is 12%. Imagine how much gear would be required to achieve a 12% increase in the survivability of your tank? On a 20k HP tank, 12% is 2400 HPs. On a tank with 3500 AC, 12% is 420AC. People spend huge amounts of AAs for 2.5% increases in their avoidance. 12% is not to be ignored, ever.
Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Azusis » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:13 pm

My thoughts exactly - thanks for the replies.

I realize that Anguish is probably gimp content by now, but our little guild was having trouble with the Jelvan event and this is where this all started. I didn't want to start an argument with the other shaman (who's actually higher level than me, sigh) so maybe I'll just point him in this direction.

:)
Azusis

Shaman Main

Postby fendaann » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:34 pm

Slows on Jelvan event - Tantho is slowable , Tanthu is slowable but very high resists I think I got one slow on him out of 100 tries it better to cure the mana dran dot on group and help heal mt.
fendaann

Server: Quellious - POVAR

Wizard Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Yesak » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:01 pm

A dangerous game my fellow shaman and I in my guild play from time to time is "Who can slow the mob the fastest without getting agro?" We like to play on trash to spice up the clearing a bit. We announce once we've landed balance or turgurs in the shaman chat channel. The shaman officer is normally the judge and watches for signs of agro. If a shaman slows too soon and gets agro, thats negative 10 points. Each time you win a mob is 1 point. Gets hard to play with adds but mindless singles or doubles trash clearing can be rather fun. On highly resistant named everyone is trying to slow it anyway, so the glory goes to whoever can land it first!

Not recommended to play if your tanks are not locking agro quickly or they are unprepared or you dont have enough gear to sustain a hit or two if you slow pretty early. Just a way to spice up mindless trash bashing. 8)
"Sometimes you have to face your demons, sometimes the demon is you." - Yesak Demunstorm
Yesak

Server: Prexus

Shaman Main

Postby Vasei » Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Nice! A fun and creative way to keep people awake through trash clearing.

Test Server
Primal Brood
Vasei

Shaman Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Fandele Longtooth » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:04 am

Hell, I swear I can't even get aggro from slows anymore since I picked up the first 6 ranks of casting subtlety a couple years back. I'll even slow on incoming, before the mob gets to camp and HoTT never moves from the freakin monk puller!

I like casting subtlety, but sometimes I wish I hadn't bought quite so much of it. Definitely not going for the last 3 ranks.
Fandele Longtooth

Server: Zebugony

Shaman Main
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby zantocon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:34 am

I languour all tank types on raids. /who all paladin, /who all shadow, /who all war, then lang them all. I also pretty much slow all trash with my aa slow. It's free. There are times they don't get slowed, because I'm healing my group or healing a tank whose going down too fast. Langour drops sometimes and I don't get it refreshed for a while, it's hard to keep it up on that many people, sometimes upwards of 10 or 12, but it's worth it on certain events or when we are clearing a lot of trash quickly. I have all ranks of subtelty and wouldn't trade them back, i do slow on incoming, everytime in exp groups and very seldom get aggro. If i get aggro I know the tank isn't awake or really doesn't know how to play their class.

zantocon

Server: The Rathe

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:57 pm

Funi

Shaman Main

Postby Unmei » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:02 pm

Hm. Somehow or other I botched my math. Yeah. 18%. But that just makes my case stronger, sooooo. ^_^v
Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Zorbee » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:09 pm

How does slow mitigation work?

Is it like a set percent of the slow based on the mob, like 50% of the slow that is cast? Or if you cast a slow that is above the amount that is mitigated, that's all you need?

So if I cast a 70% slow and it is mitigated to 35, if I cast a 30% slow on the same mob, does it go to 15% or 30%?
Avenger Zorbee Bunny'Slayer - Destroyer of Helpless Bunnies ~
Deos Fortioribus Adesse! ~ The gods are on the side of the stronger
Zorbee

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Sat Sep 20, 2008 2:19 am

It's a proportional mitigation. Higher base slows are always better, but when the mitigation gets high, the difference is quite small. Your 30% slow would go to 15%.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:32 am

Erm. It's both, sortof.

It's a proportional slow based on the mob.

So Uber Mob X might mitigate slow to 10%.. meaning a 75% slow becomes at 7.5% slow and a 50% slow becomes at a 5% slow.
And Ordinary El Trasho Mobbo might mitigate slow 50% so a 75% becomes at 37.5% and a 50% becomes a 25%.

There's no fixed value for "Mostly" "partially" and "slightly" but the rule of thumb values are "reduced to 75% of normal" "reduced to 50% of normal" and "reduced to 25% of normal" hence my 18% (75% *.25 = 18.75)
Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Brohg » Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:43 pm

Must be a pretty old thumb. Partially in Dragonscale Hills is 40% of the original slow, and it gets worse from there. Much worse.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Zorbee » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:09 pm

Ahh so it may not be worth it to break out willsapper on all mobs.
Zorbee

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box
Shaman - Alt/Box

Return to Raiding