[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Aug in mainhand tanking weapon

Aug in mainhand tanking weapon

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Aug in mainhand tanking weapon

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:40 pm

So, just transferred my paladin from an inactive to an active account, and starting to gear and level him up.

Got the sword from Rathe for him (1hs 80/33 procs rune 4) and am pretty certain that the Rune 3 aug is the way to go, but just wanted to confirm that nothing has changed in that regard with the plus 5 dmg aug now available (or was it plus 7? I can't access any other boards from work so going by memory from what I put in my monks 1h weapon).

What is your aug set up in your tanking 1H weapon I guess is my question.

Thanks in advance!
Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Re: Aug in mainhand tanking weapon

Postby Tuathadendannan » Mon Mar 02, 2009 3:28 pm

Those are 2 hander damage augs your thinking of.
I use a lifesap aug in my one hander which also procs rune 4.
IMO whats the point of putting a damage aug in your main tanking weapon, your dps sucks anyways, its always gonna suck and no matter how many points you place in it , it's still gonna suck, go for defensive and aggo.
Tuathadendannan

Postby frocus » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:03 pm

Jade of the Ether all the way.(rune 3 aug). Damage augs are for 2 handers when tanking the extra tiny bit of mitigation and ae aggro helps.
frocus

Postby knytul » Mon Mar 02, 2009 4:07 pm

Exactly, theres only 1 aug you should want in ur 1her and thats Jade of the Ether from Sverag. Until you get that, CS4 proc.
2hers: Damage augs first and foremost..if you dont have any type of a damage aug, go lifetap.
knytul

Paladin Main

Postby riou » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:10 pm

Jade of the Ether only...

or AC aug if you want epeen ranking :P
riou

Server: The Rathe

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:31 am

I'm guilty of the AC aug thing, but only because I'm too lazy to camp the Rune aug. If you have the time and willingness, go with the Rune aug, its by far the best. Other augs probably help slightly with agro, like CS augs. If you don't have problems with aggro control and don't have/want the rune aug, then it really barely matters, but I wouldn't waste time with a damage aug. You aren't doing any real DPS with a 1h weapon anyway.

My philosophy is since I don't want to camp the other one, I go for the extremely minor defensive edge of AC. You can probably get a better defensive benefit from a "guard" type proc. You could consider for enraging blow effects or for the defensive proc. I'm told its better than AC.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:06 pm

Yup. I was afraid that would come back as the answer. Been camping this fool for the last couple of evening, killing him every 22 minutes, along with a couple of whatever the current zone owners are, based on my level of boredom and distraction and nothing but ph so far...

When I first headed to the camp spot, I was like 'hmm. I remember some wierd, climb the wall run here and you get to the spot thing... Well while I was trying to figure that out, a random jumped me. So while I was killing that, 3 or 4 more jumped in, then another. Finally I just said EFF THIS, and plowed everythign to the ph... Annoying fricking zone...

Man, they sure make you pay for this aug.... The only good thing is it's just a chump zone now I just leave my mage there and he decimates everything. The xp just isn't worth bothering with to bring out the Paladin (now 81.5). Sadly, mage has made 2 AAs sitting there smacking zone chumps and the ph...
Bigcat Daddy-o

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Occam » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:36 pm

JotE is the best, but I must say, whenever I get a weapon that already has rune on it, I'll be switching to a DMG aug, hopefully the one from Kuua/Discord themes. I can't *see* the effects of the rune, but I like knowing it's there. However, if I've already got it on the weapon, the small aggro on the few times it is actually triggered is not going to be enough for me.
Occam

Server: Felwithe, Faydwer (Xegony)

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby boukk » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Mossy ftw.
boukk

Postby ZsaZsa Vavoom » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:23 pm

ZsaZsa Vavoom of Drinal
85th Level Paladin of The Kindred and Keeper of the Funk
ZsaZsa Vavoom

Server: Drinal

Paladin Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:09 pm

Well, I managed to bug it, and no ph is spawning now. Killed him during a change of race in Sverag. I have petitioned them to have the zone reset, but otherwise I guess I wait till patch day.. bleh
Bigcat Daddy-o

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby kolor » Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:22 pm

a pally friend thinks jote is bunk and questions if it (and any other rune type effects) actually provides ae aggro (or if it does, the aggro is so small that it is negligible) and he believes an aug with cs is better for aggro since it procs our stun group heal aa

i've always thought such ideas as heretical

i was under the impression that only certain weapon procs from clickies would proc our stun group heal aa such as epic and symbol of the planemasters - he claims that his 1h with chaotic strike v procs the group heal a lot

so to the experts i ask:

does anyone know if/how aggro works for rune?
does anyone have parses which show what procs healing light?
was aggro from healing light officially removed?
Kolor Kolossus
Holy Defender of Firiona Vie
(Level 85 Paladin of short stature)
kolor

Server: FV

Paladin Main

Postby shiftie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:36 pm

the easiest way to test whether or not healing light procs off of that is to go beat on a mob without using epic or plane smashers and without casting a single stun.

If light procs then chaotic strike does proc it.

as for rune... Everyone jocks the jade as though it is the most amazing thing ever, honestly I barely notice any aggro increase. Someone may prove me wrong but I don't find it to be all that advantageous. To this day I prefer lifetap augs, even though I have my primary equipped with the jade. I could do without it easily.

is what I do when I'm not raiding
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby knytul » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:33 pm

if you really want to know if Rune procs = AE Agro, just get Stitch's Spear (2hp from Ashengate East). It has a Rune V proc on it. jump in a raid w/ alot of mobs and do nothing but auto attack.
knytul

Paladin Main

Postby Normy » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:41 pm

As with most things, its in the eye of the beholder. A removeable rune effect is nice to have regardless. I don't struggle with agro though. I don't see a huge agro increase from CS effects either. When I want agro I generally can take it.

To my knowledge they have not removed agro from the healing light proc, which actually makes a CS weapon more dangerous for me in groups. The issue of healing a puller during a split is real with the healing proc range the way it is, so my only recourse is to not use stuns when that is the situation. Having a CS aug in my best 1hander gives me an uncontrollable element to my healing light procs if it does trigger this.

I'll see if I can get this to trigger on my 2h which does have a CS effect on it and I'll report back here.

As far as your pally friend, one thing is certain. Not all paladins really know what they are talking about. I was recently in an argument with a paladin on the main sony boards because he insisted that slay3 was a 500% boost to our DPS against undead. He had played a paladin a long time, yet still didn't understand some fundamental things or how to interrerpt(sp?) his own "testing" cycles. I don't exclude myself from this either, don't believe me just because, I could be wrong; best bet is to always test things yourself as fully as you can.

So far in my opinion, the rune effect isn't worth the long camp yet :oops: /shrug, to each their own. Lots of good ways to test the AE agro of rune, some listed here.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Well, I got it.

That may have been the most painful thing I can ever recall camping.
Btw, if you bug the ph you just have to wait for the zone ownership to change and he will come back.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby riou » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:48 pm

It's not only for the ae aggro, it's also for the damage absorption. Even with rune proc already on weapon it will drop in one hit if tanking basically anything, so you will rarely have the 2nd auged rune not stick. The absorption on the aug > lifetap aug > cs aug (even if it procs grp heal)
riou

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby shiftie » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:06 am

I went and tested it just to see.

Shimmer Scale = Chaotic Strike, did not proc healing light so that is false info.
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Grungloe » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:39 am

Grungloe

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby kolor » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:07 pm

thanks for the replies but one final question about how rune works

does it absorb the entire blow of a hit when that blow goes over the rune limit or absorbs only up to that limit?
in other words say rune procs and the next hit is 8k, would the entire 8k be absorbed or just the rune limit amount?
kolor

Server: FV

Paladin Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:08 pm

Bigcat Daddy-o

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:09 pm

Bigcat Daddy-o

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:32 pm

Mossy Tundra Stone I think he means. Its a damage aug.

As far as AC boosting your mitigation further than a rune, I think it would all depend on circumstances. If you are used to swarm killing, then AC is probably better since it will add some level of protection regardless of procs. Fighting one hard hitting mob though, I seriously doubt 20-25 ac will make nearly any difference. Problem is, I have no reliable way of parsing it.

The only way to answer that completely would be to find out precisely what each AC will add for mitigation, and compare it to average mitigation of a rune proc. To my knowledge no one has actually parsed out exactly what kind of mitigation AC can add, so you'd be opening another can of worms for the AC vs HP arguement enthusiasts out there.

Calculating total mitigation due to rune though is a little easier based on average proc-per-minute rates, which isn't terribly high either.

And rune did work that way at lower levels, but I believe most mobs on the higher end have their version of trample, in that the remaining damage from the hit absorbed by the rune will still make it through to you. I remember a long time back (many years now) when people were able to take a DT using a rune because it absorbed the entire hit. Of course that was around the same time as a monk soloing one of the big dragons because of instant-click heal potions that could be carried by the hundreds.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby boukk » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:24 pm

boukk

Postby riou » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:24 pm

riou

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby knytul » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:38 pm

man, ignore all the crap, the rumors, the drama lies and deceit.

our 1her dps sux ass, so dmg aug there is kinda worthless.
AC aug in there does have SOME benefit defensively, but when u have 2 procs on a weapon, thats less work ur doing w/ casting stuns for agro, leaving u more open for other stuff (like heals and cures).
Chaotic strike does NOT proc Healing light. whichever hamster in here tried dreamin that up needs to delete and reroll a ranger and go back to afkland.
Take it from someone who has tested ALL kinds of augs and procs (hell can check out the Parsed data section to see if ive ever parsed anything). Rune 3 is where its at for the extra proc. Theres only 1x 1her out there that i wouldnt put rune 3 in, instead id put a lifetap aug, and thats BoFF. you get them events where your offtanking a mob, your not trying to kill it, but u need to basically solo it while your raid does other things: (Selay from Lethar's last stand is a GOOD example), BoFF (group heal proc) + Lifesap 2 (single target heal), BOTH together add that extra bite in on healing.

Long story short man, go w/ the Jade in 1her...you WONT be disappointed. Anybody that tells u different, tell em to join serverwide, well straighten their asses out.
knytul

Paladin Main

Postby Uhaen » Sun Mar 08, 2009 1:32 pm

Dude, it's all good. Just some thoughts:

Our dps sucks period, so sticking a 4 dmg aug in your primary will give you the benefit of another 4 damage; while not as much as it would give to a monk, it's still 4 dmg you wouldn't have otherwise. The effect scales to how much damage the weapon in question has in the first place (the smaller the damage the bigger the benefit; as well, the faster the weapon, but all our weapons are now 30-35 delay)

CS4 doesn't proc healing light, and at max CA/WA will grant you ~600 damage worth of ppm, not counting crits or spell damage. But, if you are max CA/WA, 10dps can be better ganked from a damage aug.

JotE: look, do *any* of us cast aggro spells based on our procs? I've never changed how I've stunned because of a proc, and I've made the switch from BoFF straight to Eulogy; from nothing to 700 AE agro. I still use the same set up, and it won't change, simply because our aggro is so powerful. Each stun is 3k, each crush is 3k, and FoD is 3k. JotE is 460 in an AE radius, if and only if you have aggro on the other mob in camp. 4 times a minute. You will still amount to less than targeting the other mob, stunning it, and switching back. As for mitigation; 230 points? That's never going to change how frequent I heal, or how frequent I will need to be healed.

Lifetap: I just think double-crits are cool looking.

AC: grants mitigation. How much? Probably less than enough to bother. I would expect I'd see a DI roll 1 point lower per day with an AC aug in my primary.Why do I do it? I don't wanna fall behind Freezah and his A-cup.

In the end I think it comes down to what looks coolest. When someone wants you to link your primary, what do you want them to see?
Uhaen

Server: Bristlebane

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:07 am

Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Gordulek » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:11 am

Wolfcaller Releasesthehounds - 85 Beastlord
Gordulek Aggrophobic - 76 Paladin
Stromm
Gordulek

Server: Stromm

Beastlord Main
Paladin - Alt/Box

Postby Dorillion » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 am

To me the ae aggro from runeprocs mostly been doing negative things rather than anything positive. Meaning getting aggro from mobs that I shouldn't and I never been able to keep agggro when I wanted. I am stuck with runeprocs since my 1hander already got it.
So I did put mossy in my 1 hander since it ups my dps a bit when I get a few to many mobs when soloing, and adds some hp.
Dorillion

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Uhaen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:19 pm

Uhaen

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Gordulek » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:28 pm

Gordulek

Server: Stromm

Beastlord Main
Paladin - Alt/Box

Postby boukk » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:52 pm

I like mossy for, it s hp boost which add lil bit more survivability (admitedly it s not that much anymore with hp inflation),
the extra dmg, aswell welcome for a such low dps class, and swing aggro upgrade.
Good all around augment imo.

I would probably have considered jote if i didnt already have RV (or RIV before) on my weapon as default proc, which i had since DoD.
Aggro from proc is inconsistant, and i dont need to count on them in any case, 200hp rune when you now get 700hp from RV is just crappy, and it take a slot in my buff window (and i am already having lot trouble having enough space for all buff, not counting debuff, so not going to make some for a crappy 200hp rune.
boukk

Postby Abazzagorath » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:37 pm

Jade of the Ether is overrated.

I use it on my 1her, but it doesn't stack with rune 4/5 so half the time you get the "your spell will not hold" message and you don't get any aggro from it at all, and reduces its damage reduction value. I don't care about the damage reduction value anyway, if it always landed, and never reprocced on top of itself, with max CE and WA6, you're talking like 1100 dmg per minute reducted, or less than 20 dps, but most importantly, it does nothing to reduce spikes.

I'll probably switch it out for a 25 ac aug soon, just because of those factors.

With how far behind our damage has gone the last 2 expansions, I no longer see much use in a dmg aug in 1her. I used to be for them, as any dps is better than none, but there is a big difference between the % dps increase from using a 2 or 3 dmg aug on a 41/25 1her, versus a 4 dmg aug on a 130+/30 1her.

You can make arguments for all three. Ether is definitely more aggro, which is why I use it, since it can be hard to keep aggro from a twin cast wizard. If it wasn't for the aggro I'd just use an ac aug though. On a 1her without a rune proc, I'd definitely use ether though.
Abazzagorath

Server: Drinal

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby Gorblimey » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:42 am

Gorblimey Kindheart
Paladin and Proud!!
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/1407370
Gorblimey

Server: UK

Paladin Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Uhaen » Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:38 pm

All your healing needs here!
Uhaen

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Caeelar » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:26 pm

Personally, I don't have much issue with aggro unless an SK is AE aggroing on top of me. With FoD, 2 stuns, and a crush.. I'm pretty well set. I've got a damage aug in my 1h for a small dps boost.

70th Lord of Tunare
Officer of Resilience on Erollisi Marr
Caeelar

Server: Errolisi Marr

Postby Normy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:42 pm

Just because I was bored at work and was strolling through magleo...

So who wants to line up to tell this guy he's stupid for having an ac aug in his primary? :lol:

In case anyone's wondering, he's the top most paladin on magelo's site when ranked by AC then HP, or vice versa. I know his guild, and I doubt its about the epeen, but more about his effectiveness while tanking. And he doesn't need that one aug for the epeen. He has the title on AC through magelo by a bit.

And yes, I'm just joking around, before anyone takes offense to anything, just differences of opinions, nothing more and certainly not any more serious than that.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby riou » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:52 pm

He didnt min/max his visibles :shock: :P
riou

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby boukk » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:59 pm