[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - New Paladin (or SK?)

New Paladin (or SK?)

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

New Paladin (or SK?)

Postby ShamPartner » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:08 am

Hi all,

Looking at perhaps starting a Knight, since I've never played one. The Paladin seems the most fun to me, but I am concerned with the ability to effectively solo, or molo, my way through the levels.

I know 1-65 or 70 is cake. I am concerned about 70-85.

Does slay+swarming make it easy enough?

Or would I just be walking into an exercise in frustration and be better off making an SK?
ShamPartner

Bard Main

Re: New Paladin (or SK?)

Postby Thebobo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:40 pm

I would say a SK for S/Molo.
Thebobo

Paladin Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby varutia » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 am

If you only intend to solo or molo, then SK is a better option in my view, they are greater dps and much better class swarming wise. Once you can gear up SK is a beast at swarming as they are not restricted to undead like Paladin, humanoid like ranger.
varutia

Server: Bertoxxulous

Paladin Main

Postby Normy » Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:46 am

SK is a far better solo machine. Paladins are more dependent on support.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Brohg » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:14 pm

I'd actually turn that around. Paladins are better for those others that depend on support. It's the rogues & wizards & clerics that you tank for that make paladins better in groups. SKs have much more "selfish" abilities
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:29 am

I THINK for trophy hunting (a form of soloing) Paladin may be best.

Shiftee has done some amazing solo kills Graz on Vish btw.
Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:20 am

Yea, maybe trophy killing, but 2 issues:
1) soloing trophys suck for xp, lol
2) really to do that, you need to be very well geared. Unless you have an end-game raiding guild, it will take a really long time to get geared up well enough. Even with a guild it will take a lot of time because you also need the high AA count to pull it off. Cool? Definately. Quick or easy? Probably the opposite, lol.

Also to consider, SK have a good save-my-butt button much earlier than paladins, will probably save a number of deaths along the way.

In my opinion paladins are more fun to play, but definately SK have a history of soloing for xp better.
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby varutia » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:05 am

SK probably is just as good at trophy hunting, if not even better most likely.
varutia

Paladin Main

Postby Shillingworth » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:21 pm

I'll argue against the gearing up side of things. I have been loving HoT because of how easy it was for me to catch up, went in with just 4600ac and now sit at 6000ac just 3 weeks later. At around 5600ac, which is actually a lot easier than it sounds now, a paladin can effectively molo in basement of HoT with either a DPS or Healer merc, which pretty good XP. It does help to have friends/guildmates that can invite you to missions from HoT until your well enough off to tank them yourself, as those are incredible AA XP, some even drop really nice stuff that is otherwise a lot more time consuming to get your hands on.

I think class specific clickies are the hardest part, even the group version of OoW Bp can take awhile for faction and drops. After leveling, aaing, and equiping a paladin (which is the easy part), getting used to all the abilities and their quirks is perhaps the greatest time sink (but this can probably be said for all classes).
Even in darkness, there is light.
Shillingworth

Paladin Main

Return to Crusaders' Warhall