[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Defensive changes coming

Defensive changes coming

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Defensive changes coming

Postby Dole » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:23 am

From developer Elidroth
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts ... _id=174222

Greetings all. Over the years, EverQuest has gone through many changes. Sometimes, these changes have had long-reaching effects the original designers could have never imagined. One of the biggest changes recently has been he dramatic scaling of NPC damage. In order to keep content challenging for raiders, the damage dished out by NPCs has increased to the point we're at today where only the mightiest of tanks can stand up to a difficult target for more than one round. Gone are the days when a caster who accidentally drew the attention of the enemy might have a chance to survive long enough for an experienced tank, or off-tank to draw agro and save the fleeing finger waggler. In our opinion, this has lessened the enjoyment of the game sufficiently that change is needed. Badly.

What kind of change you ask?

We will reduce NPC melee damage across the board. Primarily this would be raid NPCs, but there will be some group changes as well. In short, we want to return EQ to the days when a tank change didn't just mean how many people have to die before a tank can step in; when a caster drawing agro didn't just explode in a single hit. In short, making the game more survivable, more fun, and less punitive for even the smallest mistakes.

Along with the NPC dps reduction, the damage mitigation such as defensive, final stand, knights' mantle and carapace abilities would be overhauled so you still have some emergency situation abilities, but these would last for 18 seconds instead of the three minutes they do now. Warriors would retain their innate mitigation bonus over knights, and would receive a five percent mitigation advantage at 45% damage reduction, as well as an increase to agro generation while this ability is active. Knights will receive a flat 40% reduction ability with no damage caps, with added flavor of SK's adding a lifetap, while Paladins would receive an increase to their healing.

So what does this all mean to you?

Hopefully, more fun in the game again. We also NEED your help in testing the changes. This is obviously no small task. The changes will be pushed out to the test server for a couple months before being implemented on live servers. I can't stress enough how important this time will be for you to help us find any major problems. While we can account for most of the major changes, there is always a chance something will get missed.

Please note, the changes listed above are the MAJOR bullet points. I'm sure there will be more points of discussion and I'm absolutely open to talk about them. Most importantly, this path has NOT been set in stone. It is something we are discussing, but something I feel is very important to the game's health. We are VERY aware this is a big change, and we welcome your opinions on the matter.
Dole

Re: Defensive changes coming

Postby Normy » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:37 pm

So, I hate to immediately be all negative here, but does this really just mean that rangers and monks will be the preferred group tanks because now you won't need a real tank class again? I know no one will have an answer to that yet, as this is coming from the devs, but large changes make me nervous for a class that struggles to etch a required spot in group content as it is.

Although if thats all that is changed, it will make the group game quite a bit easier than it is now. Not positive that's a good thing yet. I almost feel like this is a response to the game "Rift" which people are flocking too and repeatedly the claim is the game is stupidly easy for anyone that has played a MMO before.

Time will tell I guess.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby WaringMcMarrin » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:39 pm

There is a thread already posted in the general section if you want to reply there so more people will see the posts and provide input.

WaringMcMarrin

Veteran -

Server: The Tribunal(Ayonae Ro)

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby riou » Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:46 pm

riou

Server: The Rathe

Paladin Main
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Sun Feb 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Rangers maybe, MOnks sure I can tank stuff (with raid gear) but can't hold aggro.

Knights should be the best tanks due to aggro and self healing (though rangers may be close). With my monk 5 dots and shambot steals aggro and that is with raid weapons on the monk and group gear on shaman.

Warrios get shafted
Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby varutia » Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:33 am

Personally I think think the concept is good, but implementation is the harder part, thin wire to tread here and I doubt it will happen.
varutia

Server: Bertoxxulous

Paladin Main

Postby boukk » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 am

Doubt that change will make it in, too much work involved, and would break tanking balance.
boukk

Postby Normy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41 pm

Yea, after really looking at what they hope to accomplish, without major rework to all classes the game will be heavily unbalanced. SK's and Warriors would disappear completely, paladins would hang on a little longer because of our heals/cures, but eventually without the massive need for so much healing, I bet we would circle the drain too.

They could accomplish at least some of their goals by implementing other changes. Lowering of the DPS spikes on raid targets would make the raid content a bit more forgiving on tank death. Group content doesn't feel all that out of whack for me, but I'm in a mix of raid and group gear and maybe thats why I'm not seeing it. I always liked an idea that on raid targets, when they first switch targets, they should face a huge accuracy loss for about 2 seconds before resuming the normal butchery. That would help with common lag issues and that would give a small window of opportunity to save the squishie that ganked agro and was summoned, or on tank death it would give a human response time to actually work and hit one of those emergency defensives tanks have, or at least some agro ability. As it stands, I've watched a ranger die faster than my Force of Disruption can go off (think thats roughly .3 seconds) against UF mobs, now a full expansion old.

It's their own inflation on gear that has led to this anyway. The best way to fix it would be to rebalance all items and game content, drag down the 2k+ hp items down to more manageable levels for players so they don't need to make a 45k hitting mob to present any sort of challenge, and rebalance all PC dps to accomodate for the the scaled back content. But thats not economically feasible and would just be the death of EQ altogether.

I seriously doubt at this point in the games lifetime that it's going to risk this large scale change, but I've been wrong before.
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby boukk » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:13 am

Heh , looks like elidroth stoped smoking illegal stuff before returning to them for paladin nerfing:

RE: Defensive changes
The more work I put into this project, the more work I am uncovering that will need to be done in order to achieve the goals I set for success.

While I still believe the basic idea to be sound, the sheer scope of work involved is growing much larger than I expected, and is reaching a point where it may not be feasible or accurately testable. The NPC changes themselves are not hard. That data is fairly simple to adjust and test. Another issue gets into the fact that so much of raiding is scripted with many npc power changes happening within those scripts under specific conditions that the likelihood of catching all the changes accurately would be increasingly difficult.

Then there is the issue of healing. Were casters able to survive even a short increase in agro time, the light tanks and hybrids would then have a much easier job of tanking, to the point that they would be sustainable in a raid fight where they should not be. In short, literally all classes would have to be adjusted. Again, scope of the project growing out of reasonable limits.

In short.. this idea is likely dead in the water unless I can come up with a way to reduce the scope and still achieve the goals I set out in the 1st place. Considering how much I have on my schedule already, it's unlikely I'll be pursuing this further.
boukk

Postby Brohg » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:28 am

Could y'all include links when you quote eqlive posts? Getting the context is nice *hugs*
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Tordail » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:56 am

~
Tordail

Veteran -

Server: Luclin