[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - New Pally on TLP few questions

New Pally on TLP few questions

General Discussion for the EverQuest Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

New Pally on TLP few questions

Postby Phanes » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:05 pm

So I came back to play on the TLP, I left in 04 for wow, and I am really having a good time. I originally started the game in 99 as a pally but soon switched to druid for SOW and ports. This time around I really want to play a Pally. My question is on what weapon to tank with.

From other games tank always = sword and board but I am hearing a lot of people say 2 handers are the way to go for pallies because it gives them more time between swings to cast stuns and such.

I read the 2hander vs 1hander post so I understand a 2hander will far excel a 1hander in damage but does that equal better aggro as well?

My buddy who is a 60 war on TLP told me to use an argent defender to start off with.

Any advice in this area would be appreciated.

Thanks
Phanes

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Re: New Pally on TLP few questions

Postby Thessiuss » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:36 pm

The majority of aggro (IMO) comes from your spells & AA investment. So if you're concerned about aggro and your weapon then i'd not worry too much about it. If you're trying to squeeze the most aggro out of everything then i'd suggest putting an aggro proc aug (rune, anger, Chaotic strike, etc) into a 1h, i personally stick dmg augs into my 2h.

I'd go with a 2h unless you find yourself having larger spikes in your HP or staying alive, which i'd then switch to S&S. If you look into swarming, mass pulls and such then S&S is the way to go. again, a lot of it depends on where your AAs are invested (tanking, healing, 2hdps, spell dps).

the higher ratio weapon generates more aggro per swing though weapon procs & proc rates can outweigh the aggro benefit sometimes. Generally a 2h will generate a bit more aggro depending on the weapon procs.

follow your friend's advice, go with an argent defender unless you find yourself getting your butt kicked quite often.
Thessiuss

Paladin Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:44 am

Well use your stuns for aggro.

Sadly I imagine on the TLP at this stage you can not get any AA or Augments, so the best ratio weapon you can get for aggro.

Hmm was it the deepwater bracer that had a clicky stun? or a differnt piece. I know for shaman it was the Jaundiced Bone Bracer that had the Nuke.
Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Phanes » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:26 am

I did switch a Combine 2HS and noticed it gave me the time to really spam my Flash of Light not to mention it hits for 3x what my mace did. Holding aggro was a lot better. I think half the issue is I just have to learn how to tank better with a pally in EQ. I get my first stun in 7 more levels.
Phanes

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby Wyvernwill » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 pm

At the level of the game you're playing in, the shield bonus is relatively small, so using the highest ratio weapon is going to generate more agro with limited survivability tradeoff. Also, considering you aren't able to use 2-3 stuns that is an agro luxury of higher level Paladins, you are relying more on your swing agro to generate hate. (Currently, at the end game of current content, I have zero issues using non damage primary items and holding agro over people doing full burns.)

Once you get to around the PoP era, where single mobs become lethal, the shield AC, AC augs (GoD/Omens era), start to weigh in for a lot more. Once shield block comes into play... tanking without a shield is foolish unless the content is trivial enough that you have little risk of dying with a two hander out.
Wyvernwill

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby Shillingworth » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:38 am

The swing agro has been so little until the last couple expansions that it's laughable. The only reason's it's considerable now is that we have melee DPS classes that can generate tens of thousands of DPS on any mob. But the difference between a strong and a weak weapon in terms of agro is so little that not attacking at all means you might have to use 1 extra spell per cycle.
Even in darkness, there is light.
Shillingworth

Server: Bertoxxulous

Paladin Main

Return to Crusaders' Warhall