[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - shields

shields

Information about gear drops and quests, including Epics; also gear checks.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

shields

Postby kolor » Thu May 21, 2009 12:44 pm

/rant on

i'm annoyed with casters outbidding knights on shield upgrades
it's a knight's job to get hit and the shield is our main tanking tool
casters should rarely get hit if tanks are doing their jobs (regardless, it's not their job to get hit)
i know they like beefy shields when they solo but that doesn't help a raid force

would it be possible to make the best shields sk/pal only or drop casters from everything but caster only shields?
i would even settle for eliminating mana on most shields

/rant off
Kolor Kolossus
Holy Defender of Firiona Vie
(Level 85 Paladin of short stature)
kolor

Server: FV

Paladin Main

Re: shields

Postby Ghirador » Thu May 21, 2009 2:25 pm

You mean like...

Ghirador <Final Empire>
Povar
Ghirador

Postby Wyvernwill » Thu May 21, 2009 2:30 pm

LOL...
While I understand the reasoning, it's no different than the demands of multiple classes about what they consider vital to their role (DPS classes/Warriors/etc). It's unfortunate you got outbid, however there is nothing we do special with a shield that almost every other class doesn't also have access to. (Overcap AC / ShieldBlock being nearly universal). Arguably speaking, casters would get a larger % increase to their softcaps via shields than us as well.

It comes down to the view of things like the old argument of AC augs for tanks, despite others that would roll on them. Heck, even within my guild's dkp system, we've had a cleric and a shaman both take the 4dmg 120 augs from FC. Even Knights outbidding Zerkers on two handers. There's no real "right/wrong" it's more a matter of personal opinion when it comes down to how someone feels about one item or another... however there are some obvious, objective opinions to why some classes should be given preference on certain items (ignoring Warriors would be a bad thing on said shield however, but that's my opinion).

To a more personal standpoint... I am curious to the "Why" you were outbid... and to the degree of upgrading comparatively between said caster and said Paladin. Within my guild (and we're disgustingly Knight heavy 8- 50%+ active Paladins, 4-50%+ Active SKs) and we still rarely see shields breaking 200 dkp (Average SoD armor is going for 300-500DKP per piece), and generally the ones that go that high are to non-knights.
Wyvernwill

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby Peaky » Fri May 22, 2009 12:47 pm

I too, miss the days of the end zone with an all/all shield, and a tank only shield. I don't think the current way is problematic, and being outbid by a caster doesn't give me cause for concern. That said, I still don't agree with most shields being effectively all/all.
Peaky

Server: The Tribunal

Paladin Main

Postby Nodden » Fri May 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Nodden

Server: Antonius Bayle

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Fri May 22, 2009 1:57 pm

Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby shiftie » Fri May 22, 2009 2:20 pm

is what I do when I'm not raiding
shiftie

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Nodden » Fri May 22, 2009 3:56 pm

Nodden

Server: Antonius Bayle

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Fri May 22, 2009 8:53 pm

Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby kolor » Tue May 26, 2009 10:52 am

i wasn't outbid, but a couple of my knights were by a necro and druid (i use fabled shield of strife actually)

i just see the world with the good of the many outweighs the good of the few glasses on i guess and a necro with a shield of 50 more AC than a couple of our knights doesn't help a raiding organization
kolor

Paladin Main

Postby boukk » Tue May 26, 2009 11:59 am

Was a problem in SoF, however in SoD the shields are plenty, so not really a big problem.
boukk

Postby Wyvernwill » Wed May 27, 2009 10:17 am

Wyvernwill

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Wed May 27, 2009 5:38 pm

Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Wyvernwill » Thu May 28, 2009 11:49 am

I see that to a degree, however, I do disagree on weaponry. If anything, it's become way less restricted than it use to be. There use to be class only weapons. Paladins and SKs had their OWN weapons, not a shared between the two. There use to be more restricted two handers, now they are all two hand classes that can use them get put on them.

As for shields, MMM was rough, and between MMM/Crystallos, there was very little option, thus I can see a point at that tier. Beyond that, going into SoD, however, it seems the overall balance of shields and how they are broken down is fairly well done and I don't see an overall need to break down to where there's 4-5 shields dropping per tier in the next expansion, the three the way they are now seems to be more than enough. (Can't really look at MMM/Crystallos and say something needs to be fixed when it already seemed to be decently fixed within the current expansion out, unless one is aiming to get new items added to the loot lists in that expansion).

My personal feeling would be weapon molds dropping, instead of actual weapons. There's nothing more that I hate than seeing the fourth Monk/Beast weapon rot in Korafax while Knights in guild are still using a Fabled weapon from last year.

As for shields, personally, I saw nothing worth upgrading to after Solteris (other than FoS shield that I currently use) as the Metal Powersource made even the impromtu look like a pathetic excuse for an upgrade. However, I do feel that 1 caster shield, 1 melee shield, 1 All/All shield per tier is more than sufficient to cover a guild in shields, with minimal need for conflict.
Wyvernwill

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby kolor » Thu May 28, 2009 1:12 pm

that is great to know about sod
and thanks for all the feedback
i retract my complaint since it seems the devs already dealt with it

we just beat prototype for the first time last night so hopefully soon we'll be headed to crystallos and then working on sod progression
kolor

Paladin Main

Return to Equipment & Loot