[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 384: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Equip gear before required level is reached?

Equip gear before required level is reached?

Information about gear drops and quests, including Epics; also gear checks.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Equip gear before required level is reached?

Postby Petryc » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:13 pm

I was away from EQ for several years before I came back about 3 months ago, so I may have once known the answer to this and since forgotten.

I'm currently level 73, just a hair away from 74, and I was lucky enough to acquire a fabled spear of fire (required level 75). Just out of idle curiosity, I tried to equip it, and I was able to do so, it was visible on my character, etc. When I attacked something however, I was just punching it (using hand-to-hand).

Is this normal? I haven't had an item that had a req. level above my own in a long time. Is there something bugged about this particular item? Did I screw something up by equipping it before the req level?

I had expected to get a message to the effect that I wasn't powerful enough to use that item, etc. . .
Petryc

Paladin Main
Rogue - Alt/Box

Re: Equip gear before required level is reached?

Postby Huurgh » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:26 pm

You can equip any gear nowadays regardless of req. lvl. It then turns yellow indicating that it offers no boni at all.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert A. Heinlein
Huurgh

Server: Antonius Bayle

Magician Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Re: Equip gear before required level is reached?

Postby Hulkling » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:47 pm

aye used to not be able to equip items with req lvl above your current level. But ever since they removed the need to loot your corpse, you're allowed to equip those items (so it all meshes together in case you lost a level and dipped below the required item lvl). And as Huurgh said, you don't get any benifits from those items.
Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Return to Equipment & Loot