Loyalist Shield of Honor (Althor64, 12/26/02)

Timeless Saves - Herein is stored lore, tips, and sage advice for the Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Loyalist Shield of Honor (Althor64, 12/26/02)

Postby Valya Wanderfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:35 pm

Write up by Althor64 (10/26/02)

This is my walkthrough from my Guild boards. I verified the Safehouse steps myself

Loyalist Shield of Honor
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM NO DROP
Slot: BACK SECONDARY
AC: 50
STR: +15 WIS: +15 HP: +75
WT: 4.0 Size: MEDIUM
Class: WAR CLR PAL SHD BRD
Race: ALL

Except for the final fight, you would not believe how easy this quest is if you have the faction.

Main faction to be concerned about is Concillium Universus. This is the Faction that Phenic Dionicas is on. If he will not give you the quest, kill "Heart of Seru" mobs in Sanctus Seru for this faction.

Phenic Dionicas is in Katta Castellum. Enter the large Castle surrounded by the shrubbery ( being ever watchful for the Knights who say Ni!). Go straight up the stairs to the landing, turn right. Follow hall to the arch on the right. Go thru, then straignt into the room with the chairs and podium. Behind the Podium is Phenic Dionicas.

You say, 'Hail, Phenic Dionicas'
Phenic Dionicas says 'Greetings adventurer. I am Phenic Dionicas, Magistrate of the Loyalist Combine Empire. I hope the [vampyres] did not cause you troubles on your journey here.

You say, 'what vampyres'
Phenic Dionicas says 'Aye, the vampyres of the Coterie of the Eternal Night. I was among the first to ever [discover] the vampyre threat when I was just a young boy freshly initiated into the [Validus Custodus].

You say, 'how did you discover'
Phenic Dionicas says 'I was on a routine trade route patrol through the tenebrous mountains and the grimling forest when we were attacked by a pack of the vile undead. The creatures that attacked us wore the garments of Shadow Haven merchants and nearly my entire patrol was slain by their claws and fangs. Only [Heratius Grolden] and myself made it back to the safety of Katta Castellum alive and shortly after I was the only survivor of the attack.

You say, 'who is Heratius Grolden?'
Phenic Dionicas says 'Heratius Grolden was a boyhood friend of mine and a brave legionnaire in the Validus Custodus. He was buried with honor in the graveyard of Katta Castellum. Several nights after his burial Heratius' grave had been dug up and his body was missing. I suspect and fear that the Coterie of the Eternal Night returned for him to make him one of their own. I pray to whatever gods are listening that some day we are able to [track down the defilers]!

You say, 'I will track down the defilers'
Phenic Dionicas says 'It has been several decades since the first group of vampyres that are responsible for the death of Heratius Grolden were encountered. I have been watching for signs of their origins since that time to little avail. What we do know is that they wore the apparel of merchants from Shadow Haven. How and why they were turned into the bloodsucking creatures they became is still a mystery and shrouded in many rumors. Take this official request form to the merchant records keeper in Shadow Haven and he may be able to provide you with records of any merchant caravans that departed for Katta Castellum within a reasonable time before the attacks and never returned.

You can probably get away with that last line only, "I will track down the defilers" If he gives you the quest here, your faction is high enough.

Record Keeper Ajar is in ShadowHaven. In the center of the Fordel section, almost across from the Cleric / Pally guild is the building housing Ajar. Give him the note from Phenic and get back the "Old Merchant Records". Take them back to Phenic in Katta.

Phenic Dionicas says 'Most interesting. One of the names on this list I recognize. The alchemist [Valdanov Zevfeer]. Nathyn Illuminious would know more of Valdanov. Present this badge to Nathyn so that he knows you have been sent by the Magistrates to inquire about this issue and question him about the alchemist.
Your faction standing with Concilium Universus got better.
Your faction standing with Seru got worse.
Your faction standing with Heart of Seru got worse.
You gain party experience!!

You say, 'who is Valdanov Zevfeer'
Phenic Dionicas says 'Valdanov Zevfeer was a traveling alchemist and magical reagent peddler that used to occasionally visit Katta Castellum. At one point before the initial vampyre attacks he decided to remain in Katta Castellum for a while with the wealthy Katta citizen Nathyn Illuminious. Apparently that decision saved his life as according to the records you have provided the caravan he arrived with never completed the return trip to Shadow Haven. That is as much as I know about the individual as he primarily kept to himself during his stay here.

Ok, here is the first bottleneck. Nathyn Illuminous is not always up. If he is despawned from someone else doing this quest, he will respawn in 24 hours. If he was killed, then he will respawn in 72 hours.

Take the badge he gives you to Nathyn Illuminious. If you cast identify on the badge it should identify as "First Badge of Service". When you hand it to Nathyn he should respawn as a friendlier version of himself: BE SURE TO RETARGET HIM FOR SAYS or he will despawn.

Nathyn Illuminious says 'Phenic has given you permission to investigate a matter on his behalf? Hmph! Well, I suppose I will respect the powers of his station and answer your inquiries to the best of my knowledge.

You say, 'who is Valdanov Zevfeer?'
Nathyn IIIuminious says 'Valdanov Zevfeer was a talented alchemist from Shadow Haven with whom I had many dealings. He would bring me components for my enchantment research from all the various environments here on Luclin. Since Valdanov had been such a valuable aid to me in the past I decided to return the favor and allowed him residence within my abode and helped to further fund his research as long as he assisted me in my own enchantment studies. He has since left to continue to pursue his own interests and I have not heard from him in [quite some time].

You say, 'how long is quite some time?'
Nathyn IIIuminious says 'Valdanov departed many years ago. He had become dangerously obsessive with his research of vampyre physiology and the effects of various alchemical formulae on the undead creatures. His obsession began when a traveler arrived in Katta Castellum speaking of a Vah Shir vampyre. Valdanov began leaving the safety of the city frequently in search of this undead Vah Shir and for questionable alchemical reagents with which he insisted on testing on [captured vampyres] being studied by the Magus Conlegium.

You say, 'what captured vampyres?'
Nathyn IIIuminious says 'After an unfortunate mishap with an escaped vampyre in the city the Magus Conlegium and the Validus Custodus declared that no vampyres shall ever again enter the city of Katta Castellum and only their ashes or blood may be studied under the careful observation of the Magus Conlegium. I am very sorry but I have some pressing business I must attend to and I'm afraid I have nothing more to offer. You may take this information back to Magistrate Phenic as he has requested.

At this point a note will appear on your cursor to take back to Phenic, you should also have the badge in your inventory still. When identifed the badge will now be "Second Badge of Service". From this point on, everything remaining CAN be done in 1 day.

Take the note back to Phenic and get this:

Phenic Dionicas says 'So Valdanov had an interest in a Vah Shir vampyre?!! Perhaps we should seek out this Vah Shir and find more clues. Take these orders to Legionnaire Falion during his next shift at the Tenebrous Mountains Gate, he will question any travelers that pass by about this mysterious Vah Shir. Should you locate the Vah Shir Vampyre attempt to present him with your Badge of Service for questioning, he just may agree to cooperate rather than anger the Validus Custodus.

Phenic gives you some orders to take to Falion in Tenebrous Mountains. You can find him on the left as your walking out from Katta. If he isn't up, wait about 30 minutes and he should spawn after his replacement despawns. When he does, give him the note from Phenic.

Legionnaire Falion says 'A Vah Shir vampyre!! Isn't that disturbing! How are you supposed to spot its pale skin under all that fur! Come to think of it I've heard that a strange Vah Shir has occasionally been spotted heading towards the villages of the Coterie of the Eternal Night here in the Tenebrous Mountains. This may be the Vah Shir you are seeking. I will be sure to question any arriving travelers if they have spotted him.

Now, go to the Vampyre fort in Tenebrous and wait 30 minutes.

He will be indifferent at first, hand him your badge and he will agro on you:

You say, 'Hail, Kerzar Clawtore'
Kerzar Clawtore glares with eyes that seem to pierce through you like fiery daggers. 'Run while you can weakling! My appetite grows stronger with the presence of your mortal scent!'
Kerzar Clawtore says 'You've been sent by the Validus Custodus to question me!! You mortals are more foolish than I had presumed! The only information I have for you is the fact that you are about to face your death!!
Kerzar Clawtore roars flashing glistening fangs that are sharper and longer than the average Vah Shirs!
Kerzar Clawtore says 'Paladins like you are an affront to my senses!'

He has decent MR, is moderately tough, but he IS undead. We did this fight with Siofra, Nevza, Kodiakspirit and myself. No deaths. After he dies, he respawns invisible.
Hail him and ask him about Valdanov and follow his keywords, after you say the last one a key should appear on your cursor and 4 coterie generals will spawn, RIGHT THERE!. You can just run away from them or fight them if you have the forces. They drop normal general loot.

You say, 'Hail, Kerzar Clawtore'
Kerzar Clawtore says 'What knowledge do I have that the Validus Custodus is so eager to obtain? If you spare me I assure you I will answer truthfully.
You say, 'who is Valdanof Zevfeer'
Kerzar Clawtore says 'I have not seen Valdanov Zevfeer in many years. He came to me once when I was still newly reborn wanting to extract a vial of my blood. When I refused he attacked me and extracted it against my will. I was still new and unfamiliar with my vampyric powers, Valdanovs [abilities] were far more developed than my own.
You say, 'what abilities'
Kerzar Clawtore says 'His vampyric abilities of course. Valdanov had either been reborn in undeath far before myself or had a powerful mentor and the time and facilities in which to train. I did my best to resist his attack but I was still subdued by his superior skills and strength. He dropped this key in the struggle. I have no use for it, consider it yours. I must be going before I'm seen by the others. Oh no! It's too late! We've been spotted! May you continue your investigations in the afterlife!
Kerzar Clawtore rapidly transforms into swirling mist indistinguishable from the wind swept mountain fog as other forms begin to solidify from the fog nearby.

Ok, you now have a key. Go back to Katta. Inside Nathyn's mansion there is a secret room to the right after you go in the first door. Inside that room is a locked chest and 2 guards. The locked chest is actually a mob you can trade with, give him the key to spawn an imprisoned shade. The shade is a cakewalk compared to Kerzar, but the guards in the room may agro on you. When we did it, the chest was actually outside the mansion along the wall. No guards agro'd.

You say, 'Hail, an imprisoned shade'
Kill it, is light blue to a 60. Easy fight with Kodiakspirit, Teaamillie and myself.

Your faction standing with Order of Autarkic Umbrage got worse.
Your faction standing with Coterie of the Eternal Night got worse.
Your faction standing with Valdanov Zevfeer got worse.
Your faction standing with Akheva got better.
Your faction standing with Shak Dratha got better.
--You have looted a a worn research book.--
--You have looted a Autarkic Shade Lord Belt.--

Take that 'a worn research book' to Phenic.

Phenic Dionicas listens to your account of the events that have occurred since last you spoke and reads through the journal. 'This investigation is getting more and more baffling the further we delve. Among other things, I am wondering if the shade that was imprisoned in the chest is the same that was providing Valdanov with the blood for his research. Take the belt that the shade was wearing with these instructions to Governor Lathin at the Magus Conlegium. In the meantime I will pay a visit to Nathyn Illuminious.

He gives you a note, take that and the belt to Lathin Firetree. He is on the 3rd floor of the Magus Conlegium. You need to click on the banner in the back to go up, click on it twice to take you to the 3rd floor. Then Lathin should be to your right:

Lathin Firetree says 'Phenic wishes me to summon the Shade that is the owner of this belt for questioning. That is quite a dangerous request but it is not uncommon of Phenic to be a risk taker when it comes to his plots against the Coterie of the Eternal Night. Take this sketch and find a skilled potter to craft you a likeness of a shade from a large block of clay as a focus item for the ritual. When you have the unfired figurine fire it in a kiln with this special glaze on a High Quality Firing Sheet and return to me.

From the caster building, if your heading towards Phenic, the building on your right you pass there sells clay and there is also a pottery wheel in there. Along with the clay and sketch you will also need to use a flask of water for each attempt. Don't worry about failing, you get the sketch back if you do. There is also a kiln beside the wheel to fire the totem. You will get a summoning totem. Take that back to Lathin and hand it to him.

Lathin Firetree says 'Excellent, this figurine will work wonderfully. A group of my best summoners is gathering on the first floor at the largest of the summoning circles to call forth the shade. Please take the figurine to Theurgus Ajeea Polaja immediately.'

Give the figurine to Theurgus Ajeea Polaja, she will be on the first floor, in the very center.
Theurgus Ajeea Polaja says 'Perfect. We shall begin the summoning and questioning. This enchanted scroll will magically scribe all that transpires within its radius of perception. Take it to Magistrate Phenic after the summoning and questioning are completed.

Theurgus Ajeea Polaja begins chanting in an arcane language.

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes begins chanting in an arcane language.

Incantator Jak Masric begins chanting in an arcane language.
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'Meddling fleshlings! Why have you pulled back to this forsaken castellum? Do you fear that I will seek vengeance on Nathyn Illuminious and the city that shelters him for my years of captivity here? Or do you seek something more dangerous, knowledge of the dark path of shadows?
{Time passes}

Incantator Jak Masric says 'We neither fear you nor seek to be drawn into your dark ways, Lord Sfarosh. You will provide us some information as demanded by the Magistrates of the Loyalist Empire. The questions are simple, answer quickly and the sooner you shall be freed from this summoning. What is your history with the alchemist Valdanov Zevfeer?
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'A simple question indeed. I simply supplied him with Akhevan blood for his experimentation, that is all. The Order of Autarkic Umbrage is no friend of the Akheva and it was possible that his research could uncover some useful information for my order. Valdanovs own motivation for his experimentation was none of my concern, but the outcome is quite fascinating I must admit.
{Time passes}

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes says 'So it seems you are aware of the outcome of his hidden experimentation. Care to enlighten us as to what that outcome was?
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'I am amazed at how little you fleshlings know of what occurs within the very walls of your own castellum. It is known by my Order that Akhevan blood has strange mutagenic effects on the bodies of non-akheves if introduced to their circulatory systems. The process by which the Shadow Tegi are infused with the blood is quite complicated and painful but I would deduce that a vampyre like Valdanov merely had to ingest the blood for the mutagenic agents to effect his physiology, causing the permenent change into what I believe you call a Vampyre Volatilis. I have no dealings with Valdanov since his mutation as I was imprisoned in Nathyns mansion until freed by these foolish fleshings.
{Time passes}

Theurgus Ajeea Polaja says 'How was it that you came to be imprisoned in the mansion of Nathyn Illuminious?
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'I was paying a visit to Valdanov with more Akhevan blood, not knowing he had already been banished by Nathyn from Katta Castellum for becoming the monster that he became. I must admit, Nathyn is a powerful and cunning creature. He was prepared for my arrival, captured me with his sorceries, and imprisoned me in that enchanted chest. I was not offered an explanation, nor do I know how he discovered my dealings with Valdanov, I assume he obtained that knowledge from questioning Valdanov about his mutation.
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'It seems some allies are arriving! Foolish
fleshlings, run while you have the chance!
{Time passes}

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes says 'Ajeea! What's happened?! I sense there
are dark powers at work here!
{Time passes}

Incantator Jak Masric says 'The circle of containment is breaking down
without Ajeea! Prepare yourselves!
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'Your feeble fleshling magic has failed you! Your souls shall be slaves of the Order of Autarkic Umbrage!
{Time passes}

Praecantor Selis Dawneyes rushes to Ajeea, lifts her comotose body with a magical force and they both vanish is a flash of light.
{Time passes}

Incantator Jak Masric says 'Eliminate the shades! Selis and I will get Ajeea to safety and concentrate on a ward to prevent any further intrusion and stifle the shades power! Seek me out and bring me the robes of these shades when they have been slain so that we may research placing a more permanent ward against such creatures on the Conlegium.
{Time passes}

Autarkic Lord Sfarosh says 'Attempt to slay me if you so desire, and
if you succeed it matters not. I will return as I am a creature of shadows and shadows never die, merely slumber!

At this point, 3 more shades will spawn. Kill the Autarkic Lord Sfarosh first. Then the other 3 shades. They will each drop a NODROP robe. Loot all of them.
Kodiakspirit, Teaamillie and I did this fight. Kodiak was AWESOME! Teaa was superb as usual.

Take the 4 robes to Incantator Jak Masric:
Incantator Jak Masric says 'Hopefully these robes still contain enough of a magical imprint from the shades to be useful in successfully warding the Magus Conlegium from their kind. Thank you for you assistance. Keep this token as a symbol of your allegiance to the Magus Conlegium.

Ok, now you have a symbol, a badge and a scroll. Take the scroll to Phenic and give it to him.

Phenic Dionicas says 'There is much that is disturbing about these revelations. I will make sure the Validus Custodus is alert than they already are to the presence of powerful vampyre among our citizens. If you can find this Valdanov Zevfeer slay him and bring me his ashes your Katta Castellum Badge of Service, and your Magus Conlegium Token I will bestow upon you an honorable reward.

Ok. Now you will need forces. I'd suggest, from our experiences, that you have a killing force ready when you begin this last step.

In TM, at the vamp fort.. Kill everything in it and keep it dead. Heratius is a random spawn, but will spawn if the fort is cleared at some point in the process. Centurions are on an 11 minute timer, same for the generals. Named are on a 1 hour timer. Decent stuff, including BD's and other rare gems drop here. Heratius Grolden is the named you are aiming to spawn. The other named are around level 50, he is level 58. When he dies, Valdanov Zevfeer will spawn on the balcony on the 3rd floor. He's tough. He procs a 1000 pt lifetap. He is a necro so has some nasty dot's and he loves to root people. And he is only hit by Vampyre Bane weapons. The best of which is Ashbringer,
Ashbringer
MAGIC ITEM LORE ITEM
Slot: PRIMARY
Skill: 2H Slashing Atk Delay: 38
DMG: 18
Fire DMG: 5
Bane Vampyre: 10
Effect: Flame Shock (Combat)
WT: 10.0 Size: LARGE
Class: PAL
Race: HUM ERU HIE HEF DWF HFL GNM

So, Disc defensive is little help against him. Yes, he can quad for up to 340, but he is slowable. What kills tanks is his lifetap. I have this sword, and will gladly whip it out to tank this guy for any guildie!

He has LOW resists. Almost everything lands on him. DoTs, DD's, EVERYTHING!

He drops Vampyre Volatilis ashes. Take them, Katta Castellum Badge of Service, and your Magus Conlegium Token to Phenic and hand them to him. You get the shield.

8/26/04 Note: The ashes are no longer LORE. This leads to confusion between the non-quest ashes and the appropriate quest ashes. Please be careful if purchasing these.
Valya Wanderfoot

Return to Tomes of Knowledge