[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Did WOW get it right?

Did WOW get it right?

For stuff that applies to all (or none) of the classes...

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Postby Ughbash » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:42 am

Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Eirgorn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:23 am

Yes.... I like GRRMartin and Im not too creative =D
Eirgorn

Server: Bristlebane

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:30 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Zyba » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:42 am

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice but in practice there is.
Zyba

Postby Kianor » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main

Postby Kianor » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:17 am

Kianor

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main

Postby Unmei » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:06 pm

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:56 pm

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Eirgorn » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:57 pm

Eirgorn

Server: Bristlebane

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Wudoman » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:11 pm

Wudoman

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Zyba » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Zyba

Postby dindaur » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:40 pm

Lord Dindaur Stoutbrew
dindaur

Server: the nameless

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:43 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Seta » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:57 am

Seta

Postby Unmei » Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby dindaur » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:28 pm

dindaur

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box

Re: Did WOW get it right?

Postby Khael » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:48 pm

The AA system is one of the things that keeps me going in EQ. Even while making new chars, it's something to always look forward to and work for. Once you hit max level in WoW, there's only so much you can do. If you don't like the raid game (I sure didn't), your options are very limited. You can grind the same group instances over and over again until you run out of things to upgrade (takes ~1 month per character, I'd say), you can PvP (gets old after another month) or you can grind daily quests and factions (takes a bit longer if you wanna do them all, like winterspring trainers for mount, etc), or you can tradeskill (takes a week to max out per TS, at the most).

I did them all, meanwhile I kept rested on my six alts at or near zero. Then it started feeling like a job, not a game, and I quit. In my opinion, it's a game that has great potential, and it attracts a lot of people that don't have the time to invest into a more time-consuming mmo (like EQ), but it's not a game I'll play again until it has a LOT more content to offer.
"Hike. Hikeba inochi wa tasukeru... hikaneba."
Khael

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Tharkis » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:39 am

Just to comment, as said before, EQ had atuneable items before WoW was even released, there are many many things which people say that WoW did first which infact EQ or EQ2 did prior to wow even being released.
Tharkis

Veteran -

Server: Stormhammer

Shaman Main

Postby Caythy » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:07 pm

It took me 7 years to "burn out" in EQ, and less than 2 years in WoW.

WoW does have 9 classes, BUT with 3 speccs each, that gives 27 variants. Most of those are far more specialized than those 16 classes in EQ.
I.E.: a protection Paladin, can't solo for anything, it's a pure tank. A restoration Druid can't solo anything worth the time, but it's a real good healer.

For those high end raids, there are requierements to classes and speccs more stringend than EQ ever was (due to the small raid size). The game is build against the integrated programmable macro system - those who don't do macros will have a hard time to succeed.

And(!) Blizzard has entered the "Way of the Nerf!" like any other game in history, they do braindead decisions that overpower some of the classes or cripple others,then they rush out fixes. They overreact, like Verant did in it's worst days :roll:

To worsen things, Blizzard is rabid about their "eSports", they are improving PvP, no matter the negative impact on PvE...

For a level 70, once he did the progression, there is nothing to do in the game besides joining a high end raid guild, or doing PvP, or farming gold with the same 25 quests every day, for some overprized items.

At the moment, not playing any online games. Waiting on a wonder to happen. :mrgreen:
Maybe, if(!) SOE gets the new system in for faster AA points, I'll return. Maybe Blizzard will get the clue and do something right about the content - the next expansion won't solve the current shortcomings, only expand them to level 80.
Shaman - the other chain wearing and spell casting melee.
Caythy

Shaman Main
Ranger - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Khael » Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:28 pm

Actually, I probably solo'd better with my prot pally than with any other class I played (and I played them all). You just gotta spec/gear and play it right (can google for paladin prot AE exp or something similar). Not even my beast hunter could get close to the exp/hour I was able to squeeze out with my pally.
Khael

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Engine » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:00 pm

- Grumpy Paladin ... - Monk of Quellious ... - Druid Companion
Engine

Server: Cazic

Monk Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby dindaur » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:31 pm

crying for eq's loss before it's gone is premature. the genre is new. dungeons and dragons lives a long healthy life. everquest may do the same.
dindaur

Paladin Main
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Jutjaw McUrsa » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:35 pm

One thing I think that could come from AD&D that would add some more interest and fun the either of these games would be the multiclass character. Either by being more than one class from the start , or by allowing you to change a characters class and starting it as a different class. Such as starting a toon off as a shaman/warrior, or getting your shaman to level 80 and starting all over with the same toon as a warrior, and upon reaching level 81 with warrior getting your shaman abilities back.I think this would be a great addition to EQ and maybe WoW.
Jutjaw McUrsa

Life is too short...dance naked
Jutjaw McUrsa

Postby Khael » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:41 am

FFXI had some of that with the job system. It was a really cool idea which made twinks rather pointless, since you could change the job on your main character whenever you wanted. Also, once you reached a certain level you could pick a sub-job, which was kind of like the multiclass system in AD&D. It's a pity the controls in the game were styled towards PS2 gamepads, which made controlling it with a mouse and keyboard very annoying and complex.
Khael

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby tyranast » Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:23 am

One of the most Depressing things about wow is the Classes Are not Mulitpurpose... You will not find a hunter tanking... An arms Warrior can pull off tanking in some lesser circumstances but for Sure U have to have a Prot war for any bosses including group quest type things. A Fury warrior is pretty much only good for dps and since so many other Classes are needed for the gimp cc abilities wow gives them they usually sit lfg. The way they set up Agro just totally blows ...

Now in EQ a toon is way more versatile dps can tank, Tanks can dps, shamans can heal in place of a clr. A clr can pull of tanking with WoV and still have decent dps. So u dont Need to Respecc ur toon and ur AAs do affect how good u are with the role u choose in eq.
tyranast

Postby Bethiana » Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:58 am

Bethiana

Server: Lightbringer

Postby Khael » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Quite honestly, only feral druids were able to keep up with the threat my enhancement shammy was generating when I went all out dps. That, or a fury warrior using DW, but he generally bled as much as me, so didn't matter much. But I think they boosted the threat generation from prot spec slightly, so might be able to keep up with that now. In all other cases though, I generally had to lean back and give em a decent 5-10k headstart, and even then I would catch up in about a minute (depending on what abilities the boss used).

I think the general problem with threat in WoW is that it is too easy, what with all the addons and stuff being able to give you a flashing warning when you're about to steal agro, etc. That's why just about every other boss has some sort of deagro ability they use on the MT, or they're not tauntable, or something else is funky about it all. My point is, if it was a bit less simple to begin with, they wouldn't have to add all that stuff to mess with threat.
Khael

Paladin Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Previous

Return to General EQ Discussion