[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Any Guides for a Baby Shaman?

Any Guides for a Baby Shaman?

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

Any Guides for a Baby Shaman?

Postby Purrbaby » Thu Jan 08, 2009 10:01 am

Hi
I am looking for guides in how to play, gear, etc a baby shaman.

My main is a 85 necro. I made this shaman a couple of years ago for potion-making. Now I've decided to level her and make her my main. Unfortunately, I don't have the slightest idea how to play a shammy. Here's her magelo .

I did try playing her in crystal caverns last night, but she ran out of mana before she could kill the mobs :( I tried using sneak, but the mobs saw through it. Is there a better place to solo a 26 lvl shammy? What gear should she have? What clickies should she get? What about spells?

I appreciate any tips and advice you could give to me.
Purrbaby

Re: Any Guides for a Baby Shaman?

Postby Mojarda » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:22 pm

Gear:

Focus on HP. Lots of cheap jewelry upgrades in the bazaar. You should be able to add several hundred HP just in those slots. Defiant gear is decent hp/mana with focus effects if you can find any in the bazaar or while hunting. Don't be overly concerned on visible gear till 59 (when elaborate defiant is equipable) as Temp/Virtue/etc. will make up for any lack of of gear at those levels. Anything with HP regen and/mana regen helps. Ceremonial Iksar BP at least... Fungi at best... works in the chest slot till 50s. Get a JBB (Jaundiced Bone Bracer from Old Seb, easy farm for your necro) for mana free nukes post 45. You'll be tanking for many levels so get a shield with good AC. Tribute HP, Mana and AC... and any focus effects you don't wear. Charm: do the TSS quested charm of lore and the DoD charm aug. POP ornate pants have clickie root = good.

Hunting:

Get plenty of potions (haste, HoT, Healing, clarity, etc.) and hit the hot zones. For a break, hit the old hotzones for the augs. Into the 60s you'll get DoTs that do not have an initial DD blast, so Root rotting becomes more viable. Consider your pet a mana efficient DoT... NOT a tank. Get the panther line of proc buffs as soon as they are available. That buff will increase DPS significantly on the pet and decently on yourself. Use Canni spell every time it is available unless 100% mana. Use your worn regen, regen buff and potions to off-set the damage from Canni. You'll burn through potions (and cash) but will limit your downtime while xping.

AAs:

At a minimum, go 100% AA to get the best level of Cannibalization when they become available. Extra spell slots = great. Virulent Paralysis is a godsend to the soloing shaman. DoT extension and crit AAs will also siginificantly help with DPS. Once you start grouping more... healing AAs, buff extension AAs, combat agility, combat stability, aggro reduction AAs and pet affinity come more into play. Raiding... radiant cure, MGB, call of the wild, are needed. Personally, I'd want the first 300 or so AAs by the time I was 70ish... after that most people tend to think levels > AAs. Also, AAs that replace spells (slow, malo, etc.) are very handy and worth getting as they become available.

Root rotting:

Assumming you have Virulent Paralysis AA: pull singles with disease debuff; punt/park the mob with VP; cast Malo-line; cast DoTs without DD component; refresh DoTs/Root as needed; canni as often as possible; mob dies; get another. Key is finding a good spot with plenty of mobs that can be singled easily and that die before or right as VP fades using a DoT lineup that only slowly drains mana when using canni to its fullest. If your plowing through mana to kill the mob before VP wears off, you'll have too much downtime. If your waiting on VP to refresh because the mob died too fast or you had to reapply the root and now waiting for refresh, your not being time-efficient. The best spots (xp per minute) I found have me casting only 5-6 dots and the mob dying right before VP refreshes and nets me about a 4-5% loss of mana. This way I can chain pull for 20ish mobs (easily covering a lessons run) before needing a med break or better yet using Spirit Channeling AA to regen mana when mana gets to about 10%.

I'm sure I missed some basic stuff, but that'll get you started. Come back and search for any specific questions as there is lots of good info here. If you can't find it via search, ask. We're all pretty friendly here.

Oh, and welcome to the best class in EQ!! :P
Mojarda Spyritwalker
85 Shaman of Avatar Elite
E-Marr
Mojarda

Shaman Main
Ranger - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby fendaann » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Medicine Cabinet section might have some info

Soloing
At low levels Sham I tanked mobs

Pull with malo - SLow
have root up - root if low HP and move way and mend
Low level means dots do DD damage and break root
heal your self and give your self plenty of room to run away -lol

-now with mercs - I would get a merc tank or a merc healer how ever you wanted to play.

lvl25 Get your only charm animal spell and you now have a wild pet to play with
lvl 32 you get your 1st dogg - learn to put him on the mobs back when meleing

As you level you start to get your 1st curse dots that dont have DD attached to them and you can then start to Root/rott mobs soloing.
fendaann

Server: Quellious - POVAR

Wizard Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Durdend » Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:51 pm

Back about 2-3 years ago my shaman solo'ed in SolA. On the older boards I had a post with all sorts of info. At lvl25-30 goblins are good exp, lvl30-40 the clockworks and gnomes are great exp. I'm talking a level and a half in a 30 min Lesson of the Devoted.

Lvl74 Oracle of the Frozen Nuts
EMarr
Durdend

Rogue Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Whitman » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:48 am

FYI with a cleric friend to help, my potion-bot went from 32 to 39 in one lesson in iceclad, and we weren't really trying that hard. Much fun :mrgreen:

With a healer merc, I tried the giants in GD (hot zone) and only barely managed to get to 40 in one Lesson burn 'solo'. I kept running out of mana, despite having Ornate defiant visible and trio jewelry in all slots.

I'm going to try a tank merc in Sol A and see if that's faster. All I want is 51 to get him his Alchemy AAs, so any tips are welcome!
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.
~Voltaire
Whitman

Ranger Main

Postby Veril » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 am

lvl 40 - try City of Mists, I remember that being great
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:31 am

You may already know this but I'll say it anyway. Since you don't get hide as an ability you'll need to know how sneak works. I play an Ogre so I don't get sneak but if I remember correctly I believe your skill is pretty low when maxed so your sneak will check a RNG for pass or fail but you also can only sneak if you are behind the mob. You can't sneak if the mob is facing you. I some times play a twink Monk and his sneak never fails but he still can't sneak with mobs facing him.

If you already knew that just ignore me :)
Funi

Shaman Main

Postby HawklordXegony » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:09 pm

HawklordXegony

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Heh, try standing just outside the guild hall on a night we are progressing through new content. You'll see me as an Ogre over and over :)
Funi

Shaman Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:33 am

Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Funi » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:41 am

OMG, BIG BONED ! Good lord :?
Funi

Shaman Main

Postby BrieThecheese » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:28 pm

lol

Anyway, what i am doing with my shaman is basically limping to 59 so i can wear elab :P
at 20 and 45 you can do the TSS armor quests, they are decent
It's nice to have someone to duo with, or if you can box, try it.
Shamans are good partners :)
Good luck
Brie Cheeseheart 75 Necro
Havarti Cheeseheart, 63 Shaman
Fenka Frogheart, 63 SK- Semi retired
Druzzil Ro

Retired for the time being (again)
Grearl Kalu of the Truthbringer, 53 shaman
Renarc Sarikal, 56 druid
Stromm
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Whitman » Mon Feb 02, 2009 6:12 am

Shaman + tank merc + hot zones = sickeningly fast xp.

Remember your potions for mana regeneration, and get the highest 'Temp' for you and your new best friend the tank. Bring a mount. Pull with Slow, Haste merc and DogDog, sit and med or throw in a DoT if your mana is up for it. In PoI, watch out for the Junk Beast, he's SUCH a party spoiler, but other than that, there's nothing to be afraid of. Tank easily deals with double pulls, and can also do triples without dropping below 50%.
Whitman

Ranger Main

Return to Heyokah's Lodge