New shaman returning

General Discussion for the EverQuest Shaman.

Moderator: Shaman Mods

New shaman returning

Postby SurrealNight » Mon May 02, 2011 8:37 pm

Just reactivated my account and going to return to playing my lvl 66 shaman again.

I've been looking through some of the boards / sites / wiki but I'm not really sure where to get started as all the changes and new expansions make things a little overwhelming. I'm assuming spells are still drops/combines at the higher level so a nice guide that could show me a level progression guide to go exp and still get the drops/money I need for spells would be a big help.
SurrealNight

Shaman Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Re: New shaman returning

Postby Brohg » Mon May 02, 2011 11:17 pm

A great many of the spells you'll need to get going are researchable and sold in the Bazaar now. Up to level 80 spells I believe won't have to be sought via factions & quests.

Investigate the "Defiant" series of attunable armors. You'll fit in Elaborate tier now, Elegant tier at lv70. If it isn't immediately available in the Bazaar, just ask around. Defiant armor isn't rare, so some people don't take the time to sell it. They are super armors for leveling up casters, priests, or attackers (leaving out only tanks - the major weakness of Defiant armor is AC).
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby AbyssalMage » Tue May 03, 2011 4:15 am

Brohg wrote:A great many of the spells you'll need to get going are researchable and sold in the Bazaar now. Up to level 80 spells I believe won't have to be sought via factions & quests.

Investigate the "Defiant" series of attunable armors. You'll fit in Elaborate tier now, Elegant tier at lv70. If it isn't immediately available in the Bazaar, just ask around. Defiant armor isn't rare, so some people don't take the time to sell it. They are super armors for leveling up casters, priests, or attackers (leaving out only tanks - the major weakness of Defiant armor is AC).

To add to what Brohg said,
Level 66-70 are Muramite Ruins and depending on your server they can be quite expensive. Check the bazaar but the best place to check(ask) is in /General. I would argue that you don't need all your spells (unless you really like having a full spell book). I forget the spell name(s)/level(s) (And I don't feel like looking them up on Allah), but the spells I would focus on getting/need are:

Talisman of Wushi
    Talisman of (Str/Increases damage)
    Talisman of (Sta)
    Talisman of (Agi/Increases avoidance)
    HoT
    Direct Heal
    Slow Buff (DoD spell, level 68), works great for content where the tank > content and allows you to do other things
    Optional: Slow

Those would be the spells you (may) want to focus on in the 66-70 level range. Level 71+ spells are almost all vendor purchased while Rk. II spells are usually dropped and/or (usually) sold in the bazaar. The spell patern is now 66-70, 71-75, 76-80, 81-85, and 86-90 so if you want to skip/can't find your 66-70 spells, you can purchase the upgraded versions at 71-75 (And is what alot of returning players do).

To add to the Defiant gear....SoF non-visible is the best you can get right now at your level, its all required 65/recomended 75 and depending on the slot (and server) can be extremely cheap or expensive. There is also player made jewlery (Gnomish Jewelcrafting Guide. It doesn't have the Underfoot Diamonds in there because he left the game :cry: )that can be a huge upgrade depending on where your gear was when you left. Palludiam (sp?) trio is the metal you want to look up and you want Round Cut Opal/Emerald w/either shimmering Nihilite, Harmonigite, Taffaite, or Underfoot Diamond (Those are all spelled badly :( ) for the slot 11.

All focus's have been standarized (For SoF+ gear) so upgrading gear is very simple. 76+ gear has also been standarized for upgrading clickies.

SurrealNight wrote:Just reactivated my account and going to return to playing my lvl 66 shaman again.

WB

I've been looking through some of the boards / sites / wiki but I'm not really sure where to get started as all the changes and new expansions make things a little overwhelming. I'm assuming spells are still drops/combines at the higher level so a nice guide that could show me a level progression guide to go exp and still get the drops/money I need for spells would be a big help.

Buy a Mercenary (assuming you have bought all expansions), Tank or Rogue would be my recomendation, and either head to DSH (Dragonscarle Hills, GH ports to this zone or easy run) and level at "The Farm" with other players or head to The Hole (Off of Paniel, you can now drop down the hole with out dieing :D . Still the best xp/hour solo until 72). The other place I would recomend would be PoFire (Its now open to everyone 61+) with a SK (or any Mellee who can tank there) and suck up the xp. That "Slow Buff" that I refrenced above works wonders with "swarm kiters" here. The Hole > DSH > PoFire as far as money goes (on avg.), although if you find a SK who swarms PoFire good, his speed of kills will make up for the lack of vendor loot that drops in the zone.

As a (VERY) general leveling guide:

66-71: Top choices -The Hole, DSH, and PoFire. Secondary - BoT, Crypt of Decay (CoD), Current Hotzone
    (69)71-75: Top choices - DSH, LP (Loping Planes), PoFire, OGH (Ocean Green Hills, i.e. SoD tier 1 progression) Rift Seekers Sanctum (RSS). Secondary - BoT, CoD, Current Hotzone
    75+: Top choices - Current Hotzone, PoFire, SoD (i.e Any theme - work progression, augments), HoT Tier 1 Progression, RSS

Also, with hotzones there have been many new augments added to the game. I have no clue what the community as a whole agree on, but you should be able to find a mix/match of Pure AC, Hybrid (AC/HP), and/or HP/MP in enouph quantity to fill every type 7 slot.
AbyssalMage

Beastlord Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby SurrealNight » Tue May 03, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanks for all the info, will keep this in mind when servers are back up.

I'm going to be transferring to Antonious Bayle as that's where the few people I know still playing ended up.
SurrealNight

Shaman Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby SurrealNight » Sat May 21, 2011 11:13 am

OK finally got my character transfered off Zek to Antonius Bayle so I can start working on my shaman again.

Looking at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ%3AMercenaries I'm having trouble figuring out the whole 'theme' thing and at what level I can start the quests for the higher level merc's. Since you don't have to do them in order, is there a rank I should jump right to, and what character level can I start working on the them?
SurrealNight

Shaman Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby dohrian » Sun May 22, 2011 4:26 am

Hello,

as stated in the wiki :

Progression
Completion of Oceangreen theme gives Journeyman Rank II

Completion of Kithicor theme gives Journeyman Rank III

Completion of Field of Scale theme gives Journeyman Rank IV

Completion of Rathe theme gives Journeyman Rank V

I.e. if you complete only the Rathe theme you will have Journeyman rk 5 available for purchase, but not rk 2, 3 or 4.

So just do the rathe tasks to get rk5, no need for other. The solo tasks are easy to solo for a shaman (root/dot), but the group task cannot be soloed (puller needed).
Dohrian, Master alchemist / baker / brewer / fletcher / jeweler / potter / smith / tailor
dohrian

Server: Karana -> Ayonae Ro -> Tribunal -> Bristle

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby SurrealNight » Mon May 23, 2011 12:42 pm

I'm having trouble finding any information on the "Rathe Theme" in the wiki. Looking at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq ... estruction is it talking about the "Invasion of Earth: Revolves around the faction, Mitius, Herald of Change."?

Searching for "rathe theme" basically brings up nothing, so how you find and complete it is a bit confusing to someone new to the concept....
SurrealNight

Shaman Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Sowslow » Mon May 23, 2011 2:37 pm

SurrealNight wrote:I'm having trouble finding any information on the "Rathe Theme" in the wiki. Looking at http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq ... estruction is it talking about the "Invasion of Earth: Revolves around the faction, Mitius, Herald of Change."?

Searching for "rathe theme" basically brings up nothing, so how you find and complete it is a bit confusing to someone new to the concept....

Rasper has a pretty good write up on all the progression tasks, http://home.comcast.net/~mathadon/Guides/SoD/Rathe_Progression.html.

Also, to add for a new person. Not sure what level you are but here are the AA I use quite a bit:
Virulent Paralysis - knockback root that last a good long time. Get the associated reduction/haste whatever goes with it.
Turgur Swarm - aa version of slow with nice resist check
Radiant Cure - depends on your level but he maxed rank cures almost anything
Inconspicuous Totem - drop all aggro and make you look like a totem. Second rank last longer and lets you click off the invul part. If you are dotted or get hit with a spell after clicking, it might break, but a very good tool for shedding aggro and getting to hard to reach places.
Malosiente (sp) - aa malo type resist debuff. Get the associated reduction/haste whatever goes with it
Tranquil Blessing (sp) - might have the name wrong, but it is an out of combat mgb with a short reuse time. very nice for buffing
Pact of wolf - werewolf illusion but with hp/mana stats added
Spirit Call - swarm pets. decent dps when they all live and can help with push, gate, whatever. Get the associated reduction/haste whatever goes with it
Ancestral Aid - group hot that can be mgb and stacks with almost everything i know of

That's most of the clickable ones I use frequently or really ever. There are a few others i occasionally use like the spires or union of spirits, but not often.

As for passive ones, I went for all the healing ones first (gift, adept, boon, etc), then for the dots (no clue on the names atm, but anything that helps dots do more damage), then survival (combat agility, combat stability, etc).
If you end up dying more than the tank, get more survival ones. If the tank ends up dying more than you get more healing ones. If the mob takes forever to die and you and tank die before it, get more dot or other damage ones.

For pp, most of the SoD mobs drop pp and some items. Some are vendor trash and some can be sold in bazaar. Some of the tasks give out pp as rewards so do them as you go. If not go to an old world zone like seb or similar and farm gems and other drops for pp. Not a great way to make pp that I know of besides selling taskadds at higher levels.

Rasper also shows most current spells and how to get them. Rank 1 vs 2 are not really important, just get the best/highest level you can. The counterbias spell line is really good, but I think it is SoF level. Also, qirik recourse, but that is HoT. I can't think of any lower level ones that are must haves, just upgrade as you go.

Hope this helps.
Sowslow

Server: The Rathe -> Quellious -> Povar

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby SurrealNight » Mon May 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks that site lead me to the info I need. I'm only lvl 66 though so looks like if anything the first improved merc I can get is the Oceangreen theme since the quest mobs start at lvl 74. I was just thinking/hoping you could get the better ranks earlier.

I'll keep that list of AA's in mind. I have ~270 AA from when I was playing in PoP, the Inconspicuous Totem looks very handy for getting around and exploring all the new zones I've never seen. Going to work on getting a magelo profile set up so I can see what I have when not in game.

Probably grab a tank merc and head to DSH as suggested earlier unless friends are on to group with. Apparently I had quit with a decent chunk of cash so was able to pick up some reasonably priced Defiant armor as well. Sounds like I don't have to worry to much about the 66-70 spells if I can get to 71 without them and just buy those instead.
Not a great way to make pp that I know of besides selling taskadds at higher levels.

Not that it will matter anytime soon but what are taskadds? Just going to focus on leveling but doing so in a spot I can also make some money at the same time is always a good idea.

How useful is alchemy now days? I know my skill was reasonable before I quit and wasn't sure if I should invest the time to keep it leveled up or go back and farm it later at 85-90?
SurrealNight

Shaman Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Sowslow » Mon May 23, 2011 7:28 pm

If you can do the rathe theme, you can get the tier 5 merc without doing any of the previous tiers. The others don't work that way. Not sure how hard they would be to do at 66 so maybe just stay with what you have.

Taskadds are ways people add others to group quests missions prior to the end. The added person gets the credit (exp and whatever else) for little to no effort at all. So some people are willing to pay for these as some can be done without a full group.
Sowslow

Server: The Rathe -> Quellious -> Povar

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby SurrealNight » Tue May 24, 2011 1:59 pm

The mobs in the first Rathe based quest are 84/85 it looks like, so not something I could do for a while as I doubt it will even give me the task until I'm in my 80's or so? I was just having trouble initially finding where the Rathe stuff started at so didn't know what the required levels would be.

The Oceangreen tasks start you off on lvl 74 mobs so might be easy to do while I'm leveling up anyways.
SurrealNight

Shaman Main
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Return to Heyokah's Lodge