[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Leveling paladin up for boxing

Leveling paladin up for boxing

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Leveling paladin up for boxing

Postby Shinreineko » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:17 am

Hi all,

I just transferred my old paladin, whom I haven't played in about 5 years, from my main account to a new one. I'm interested in leveling him up from 36 to box with my 70 shaman.

I'm still in process of gearing him up, for right now he has about 800 ac and 1700 hp unbuffed.

I'm looking for suggestions on good places to get xp for him. I checked the hot zones and saw Tower of Frozen Shadow is the current hot zone, but its not a zone i'm too fond of. I heard stone hive is a good place, but not sure how the xp will be as not a hot zone. I'm also guessing stone hive mobs have lots of hp.

thanks
Heyokah Shinreineko Spiritcaster, 70 Shaman
Shinreineko

Server: Maelin (Vazaelle)

Re: Leveling paladin up for boxing

Postby Vasei » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:33 am

With a shaman to help you level, be prepared to level fast enough to skip a hotzone or two at the lower levels. If you JUST want to level fast, I'd stay in hotzones at all times. ToFS was annoying because of the casters and the adds - but honestly those things will only work in your favor here. (ok, I'm biased, I loved that zone)

PL'ing with Puma is ridiculous. You should hit 36 in a couple of sessions.

Test Server
Primal Brood
Vasei

Shaman Main
Bard - Alt/Box
Enchanter - Alt/Box

Postby Shinreineko » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:38 am

Ohhh yeah puma. I don't actaully have that, I just have leopard.
Is that bought with radiant crystals?

I got some damage shield potions too, I know those will help make things faster too.

Edit: Sweet! Looked up puma, its vendor buyable in PoK.
Shinreineko

Postby Shinreineko » Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:42 am

I found out you can transfer characters off of the combine now, so I transferred my 56 Beastlord over to Maelin last night. Should make a good addition to the team.
I got the paladin to 37 last night in Dawnshroud Peaks, almost no flawed defiant plate in the bazaar though.
Shinreineko

Postby JemiS » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:31 pm

I highly reccomend that with Seb as a hotzone, you stop at 55 and grind AAs to get your first few tiers of AAs done.

I got 16 AAs in a single lesson burn using panther with my 52 ranger, its quite easy to grind out most of your Luclin AAs, and the character power increase should be quite large.
JemiS

Ranger Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Macnair » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:05 pm

For a high level shaman helping a second toon to level up to 60, maybe a little higher, the limiting factor is, how many mobs can your shaman tank all at once, over an extended period of time?

Your shaman needs , and the spells and .

Try out Lower Guk, which is currently a hot zone and has mobs level 30 to 40. Let your shaman tag a mob with Hungry Plague, and move around in a few rooms to get a train of, say, 10 mobs. See how hard it is to keep your shaman alive, tanking those ten, using Spiritual Serenity to heal yourself while the mobs beat themselves down on the damage shield. After you've discovered that 10 is pretty easy, try 15 or 20. The goal is to get as big a train as you can manage well.

Your paladin's job is to cause at least one point of damage on each mob, but not a lot more than that: and otherwise you want him to stay out of the way. You don't want him to get aggro, and he won't, unless you leave him on autoattack while your attention wanders.

With a level 80 shaman in Crypt of Nadox, when it was a hot zone, I could handle about 30 mobs, level 55 to 60. That brought my pet enchanter to level 60, averaging about a level per pull. I stopped there, but I think I could have brought him to 64 or 65 without too much difficulty (the rate of experience gain would have slowed down, because either the mobs would turn light blue to the enchanter, or we'd go somewhere else where the mobs would hit harder, and I wouldn't be able to tank as many at once).

That suggests that as you learn how to do it, your level 70 shaman will probably be able to handle mobs in the 45 to 50 range, though maybe not thirty at a time. You should be able to use this technique, then, to get your paladin to level 52 or 53, moving to harder zones as your paladin gains levels.

At some point it becomes too much work for too little return: your shaman can only tank 2 or 3 of them at a time, and the mobs have too many hp and take too long to die. At that point, though, your paladin is perhaps 53 or 54, so just group up with him now, let him start to tank, and work on all the defensive issues that you have neglected in getting him up in levels so quickly.

Macnair

Server: Vazaelle (Maelin Starshine)

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby JemiS » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:17 pm

For any melee char, it is far better to DS up the PLee and panther them up, and heal as needed. Not only does it move pretty fast, but it lets the PLee keep up offense/defense skills, which is important.
JemiS

Ranger Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Macnair » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:17 pm

It really depends on your goal. If you want to get the toon -- melee or caster -- up in levels quickly, put the DS on the PLer, and let the PLee soak the exp from 30 mobs. You can say "it moves pretty fast" killing one mob at a time (though you have to use Puma (154 proc) rather than Panther (400 proc)); but I am pretty doubtful you can kill 30 mobs in the same time frame that way.

I'd guess you might be able to maintain a steady kill rate of one mob a minute with puma. That compares with 30 mobs in 8 to 10 minutes. Call it ten, for easy math: with the DS on the PLer, you are levelling three times as fast.

At level 60 you can get your offense/defense/weapon skills to max pretty quickly, even if they have lagged behind quite a bit.
Macnair

Server: Vazaelle (Maelin Starshine)

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby JemiS » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:35 pm

Through 30ish, its way more then 1 mob per minute- closer to 1 mob per 10 sec or less.

Once you can use the level 61 proc buff (300 damage) around 45, things speed up again.

If I PL with my ranger, I use reverse DS PLing, and it works great. I've never found I could stack a worthwhile enough DS on the shaman to be worth it, especially since most classes don't have the requisite PBAE spells to make it easy.
JemiS

Ranger Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:59 am

For a shaman with Breath of Antraygus in the 50-60 range I goto Greigs End and group with the toons I am PLing. the big room near to servitor has about 4 pulls. You can blast our the levels in no time flat. While you are pulling the PLee shoudl be camped,. log in when you are back in place killing mobs and group. A double XP session lasts about 2 hours in real time and you can do a lot of XP. Two sessions will do 50-60.
I also found that the AAXP was pretty good there. once your toon hits 60 it drops off markedly
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Return to Soloing / Duoing / Multiboxing