[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - fun 2 box with a merc?

fun 2 box with a merc?

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

fun 2 box with a merc?

Postby BrieThecheese » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:02 pm

with my necro main leveled enough to farm stuff for alts, i started a Rogue/Shm box and having fun with it with one tank merc (rogue account doesnt have SoD). They are doing well atm, so no problems there :)
What i was wondering is; what is a fun box of 2 that isnt too gear dependent? im not bent on getting levels really fast, or getting raid gear. Just trying to have some fun and try classes i havent leveled much before. Thanks!

Brie
Brie Cheeseheart 75 Necro
Havarti Cheeseheart, 63 Shaman
Fenka Frogheart, 63 SK- Semi retired
Druzzil Ro

Retired for the time being (again)
Grearl Kalu of the Truthbringer, 53 shaman
Renarc Sarikal, 56 druid
Stromm
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Re: fun 2 box with a merc?

Postby Khauruk » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:21 pm

Mage + sham, or necro/sham, or mage/druid (somewhat dependent on druid).
Khauruk

Server: Luclin

Postby BrieThecheese » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:21 am

Mage/Druid sounds cool, i havent played much of either class, so will be new for me :) thanks Khauruk
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:16 am

Mage + Ranger is a lot of fun. All the ranger needs is a bow.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby BrieThecheese » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:18 pm

i tried my brothers ranger, who is level 53, and didnt have so much fun, part of the fact I died, a lot, and another part is his ranger is pretty gimp. . i'm sure a decently geared ranger would be fun, but i have decided to go Mage/Druid

Coh, ports, sow (ranger gets sow but at later level) tank pet, pet toys, and, because I'm an illusion addict, wolf form 8)
Thanks for the help!
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Khauruk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:16 am

Learn your atk debuffs, and use them well. They'll really help, duoing w/o slow.
Khauruk

Postby BrieThecheese » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:43 pm

I have been looking at spells for both druid/mage since i havent acually created them yet. :P looks like a pretty strong duo with or without a mercenary. When do mobs start doing enough damage to need slow? The classes i have leveled kited most of the time, so didn't do any melee'ing or have the need to slow.
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Khauruk » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Depending on what you're doing, I started finding slow useful in the 50s. With the higher AC you can get though nowadays, you can push that off a while longer. Equipping your mage pet w/ Prime Plate, and other higher-lvl summoned goodies can push it off even further probably (even if the AC is low on pet items, it has a *huge* effect).

Look around on thedruidsgrove.com/eq for parses regarding attack debuffs - they can have a huge impact (especially on named mobs), especially in new content. And, if you're fighting somewhere harder...just pop a cleric merc or two as needed. Or a cleric merc + tank merc (if you can get higher tiers eventually...the J5 one tanks very damn nicely).
Khauruk

Postby BrieThecheese » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:13 am

Great! thanks for the info, i will check it out :)
Are either of the classes really dependent on gear? the necro i leveled was horrible until i got a full set of Elab Defiant :P
TSS expansions have some nice gear, but sort of a pain to get after having done them 5 or 6 times lol
are there any armor quests in old world or otherwise that are worth it before 50?
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Veril » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:28 am

A Mage pet, especially the air pet doesn't need slow. It's that simple. The mage epic pet is great in the 50's - if you can get to Isle 6 (I think) in PoAir on your necro, you can get the crown, the resto fo the epic is easy.
The only gear a mage needs is: Detrimental Mana Preervation focus. Magic and Fire Focus. Mana pool and mana regen. Pop Ornate has some useful flickies

Druids, need loads of stuff, nukes, dots, heals, beneficial mana pres/range/haste. Kunark armour has some useful clickies. PoP ornate armour has some useful clickies (legs especially)

No mob should ever hit a mage, it should be hitting the pet.
no mob should ever hit a druid, it should be snared and/or rooted.
Veril

Veteran -

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Magician - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby BrieThecheese » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:39 pm

I think i got to isle 5 for Necro epic, so shouldnt be too hard :)
i'll look for some focuses in baz gear, if i cant find em, i can do Kurnak/Velious/PoP armor
Just going to take it slow and have some fun :D
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby chordling » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm having a lot of fun with a bard + wizard and 2 healer mercs. I can cherry pick any named ph anywhere and pull it to safe places, tank ok, slow, snare, boost my wizards dps, travel really fast to anywhere (ports, evacs and selos), and /corpsedrag the wiz to camps deep in zones full of see invis and rez her, and wizards do amazing dps in group content with crap gear :p
chordling

Bard Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby BrieThecheese » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 pm

I have never tried a bard or a wizard much, will be another one to try . Having a blast with mage/Druid, they kick butt at 20 :P
I'm leveling slow and doing armor quests as i go 8)
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Khauruk » Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:47 am

Khauruk

Postby BrieThecheese » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:51 pm

I wish i could 3 box, but i don't have the accounts or the time and money to. Just a random thought or two. . . has anyone ever tried a Necro/Necro/Necro combo with 3 mercenaries? Necro dots stack! :twisted:
And, is there any class that pairs well with a chanter? Chanter is another class i want to check out.
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Siluuael » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:43 pm

Speaking as a necro, Mage/Mage/Mage would be better than Necro/Necro/Necro. No need to kite!

- 83 Dark Elf Necromancer (main)
- 71 Barbarian Warrior (alt)
Siluuael

Server: Pittsburgh, PA

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Khauruk » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:31 pm

You could do worse than nec/nec/nec, but they won't stack that nicely. 3 x mage would be powerful though, for sure.

Enc: The only duo I can really think I'd do w/ an enc would be warrior or zerker. A raid geared warrior w/ an enc and 2 cleric mercs could get some stuff done, and still have decent dps. The zerker won't tank nearly so well, but could still get a lot done imo. These are the only two I can think of where your dps/abilities won't entirely gimp out your mini-group.
Khauruk

Postby BrieThecheese » Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Only reason i thought 3 necros would be fun, is because i was in a Katta group with my 67(at the time) necro, and there was a 65 necro and an 80 necro. . . those mobs died fast :)
Then again, i have never played with 3 mages in my group
If i make a chanter, i think i would go with war. . . another chain class right now ( i have two in need of gear badly atm ) would kill me :P

Brie
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby frocus » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:42 am

Chanter/Mage/Druid might be nice slows, snares, ports, evac, Beefy pet to tank.

If just going duo Chanter/Mage still works quite well chanter charm pet tanks for mage pet mage pet then kills chanter pet after breaks.
frocus

Return to Soloing / Duoing / Multiboxing