[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Multi-boxing = multiple accounts?

Multi-boxing = multiple accounts?

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Multi-boxing = multiple accounts?

Postby PorkSocks » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:53 pm

Very simple question from someone who has been away for a long time. Do multi-boxers actually subscribe with multiple accounts or can you run multiple characters off the same subscription? I understand that $60+ a month for a game isn't a big deal to many people, and isn't to me either, but it may be more hardcore than I can justify to myself.

What's the scoop? Do that many people really pay for as many as six accounts?
PorkSocks

Shaman Main

Re: Multi-boxing = multiple accounts?

Postby BrieThecheese » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:40 pm

Yes, you have to have 2 or more accounts to box. Logging 2 characters in on the same account at the same time is impossible
And yes, some people pay for 6 accounts. :)
Brie Cheeseheart 75 Necro
Havarti Cheeseheart, 63 Shaman
Fenka Frogheart, 63 SK- Semi retired
Druzzil Ro

Retired for the time being (again)
Grearl Kalu of the Truthbringer, 53 shaman
Renarc Sarikal, 56 druid
Stromm
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:43 pm

Many do. The most I have 'boxed' is five, but I know a lot of people who do 6, and someone posted recently that they box 9 IIRC.

hmm. My bar tab on a mediocre night out with the boys typically hits $100 give or take. If we had dinner before hand, even more. Night out with the wife for dinner, movie and drinks is going to run me that also I think.

Entertainment wise, if you have the hardware to get the job done, EQ is pretty good value, so I have never really considered it that hard core.

With WINEQ2, a lot of folks will run multiple accounts on the same computer. Currently I am boxing 3, running three mercs as well, when none of my friends are around. Mercs helped to cut down on boxes and allowed me to drop plate class from my needs, so I can invite plate class folks without competition on drops, yet I can still just log in and do stuff without waiting for anyone else.

That is probably the biggest reason for boxing. I just don't have time or patience to hang around and /LFG for a couple hours a night.

The key is to enjoy the game your way, and if boxing isn't somethign that appeals to you, that is understandable. Grab a merc, and a couple friends, or five if you got em and have fun!

Peace
Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Drazeena » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:43 pm

Can you smell the fear? Can you taste the fear? Can you feel the fear? If no, fear not for you soon will!!!!!
Drazeena

Shadowknight Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby BrieThecheese » Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:22 pm

I run 2 accounts on the same computer, but since I don't know what WINEQ2 is, i don't think I'm using it. Someone enlighten me? :D
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby jdpatt » Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:31 pm

http://www.lavishsoft.com

This the the site for the company that makes Wineq2 and related products (innerspace, eqplaynice, etc).

Wineq2 is a utility that makes multiple instances of Everquest (and quite a few other games) easier to manage on a single computer. It allows you to set preferences for how the windows are viewed and arranged, manages how your computer resources are allocated, and generally makes everything work a lot better. Many of the innovations of Wineq and Wineq2 have been integrated into Everquest itself, over the years, since they worked so much better than the SOE product out of the box (like setting processor affinty, windowed mode, etc).

Running Wineq makes quite a difference on my hardware...on my high end desktop systems it works flawlessly; on my older laptop, it actually makes EQ somewhat playable. Running EQ in Wineq, even when running only one account, just works better; running more than one account, you'll really appreciate what it does for you. I currently run 4 accounts on one box and 2-3 on another...I doubt I could do as much as I do without Wineq2.

Go to the Lavishsoft site, try the free version of Wineq. If you're multiboxing EQ it's really one of the best programs available, well worth the $3 or so a month for a subscription.

Dave

Divedet Ective - 85 Rogue
Tibert McSoulpole - 85 Cleric
Winladdar McSoulpole - 85 Druid
Divesbl McSoulpole - 85 Beastlord
Rieko Likesricecakes - 85 Warrior
Ronam McSoulpole - 84 Magician
My Bench
Carooner McSoulpole - 72 Bard
jdpatt

Rogue Main
Cleric - Alt/Box
Druid - Alt/Box

Postby HawklordXegony » Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:48 pm

I have 6 accounts. I pay 2 years at a time. $1,200 hurts at the time but it saves almost that much over the monthly rate and I don't have to worry about it for two years.
HawklordXegony

Shaman Main
Monk - Alt/Box
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Added comment to wrong thread. doh!
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box