Shaman box

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Shaman box

Postby BrieThecheese » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:10 pm

Hi, I don't post here much but have a question about boxing my shammy. (different shammy, if you remember me from before) :D
He's level 43 atm, I want to level him up to play with my 73 necro eventually.
I can box him with:
63 SK - Horribly geared, almost no aa (like, 20?)
49 Beastlord - Pretty badly geared also, got a few defiant pieces
43 Mage - decent gear, mostly flawed defiant

Which one should I level him with? I'd like to get him to about 60 before boxing with my necro. I have one merc on the Sk/BL/Mage's account, but none on shammy's.
Thanks!

Brie
Brie Cheeseheart 75 Necro
Havarti Cheeseheart, 63 Shaman
Fenka Frogheart, 63 SK- Semi retired
Druzzil Ro

Retired for the time being (again)
Grearl Kalu of the Truthbringer, 53 shaman
Renarc Sarikal, 56 druid
Stromm
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Re: Shaman box

Postby Kumudil » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:01 am

Up to 60 .. easiest and fastest by far: Tank merc and mercolo POI. Leveled a rogue there same way from 46 to 60 in just some ours.
Those tankmercs are incredible powerful upto 65. Even doing fire-red mobs they don't need heals when mobs are single and even tank throught a couple of red mobs. It seems they regen HP almost faster than one could heal.

I would suggest to stop at 51, 55, 59 to max aas, atleast the usefuls. Never those will fly by easier than in this range with the tank-merc.

Until you can get into POI just mecrolo the previous hotzone, actually don't remember which one it was.

If you want to box, take the mage and a second tankmerc. The petstuff is useful for both pets.
Kumudil

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Druid - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Mendler » Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:52 am

If you want to PL him to get be able to play with your necro, I would take your SK and group together and mass kill greys( grey to the SK so they would be blue to the shammy) for mass exp. Load up on DS potions and go grab a bunch of mobs.....you might check out Dulak or the Hotzone for 40 or 45.

The key is to find those mobs that are grey to your sk and blue to light blue to your shammy this way the shammy gets all the exp and the kill rate should be much higher.
Cleric, warrior, shammy, necro of Emarr
Mendler

Server: Emarr

Postby BrieThecheese » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:17 pm

Thanks for the replies :)
BrieThecheese

Necromancer Main
Shaman - Alt/Box

Postby Kruzar » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:48 pm

Kumudil wrote:Up to 60 .. easiest and fastest by far: Tank merc and mercolo POI. Leveled a rogue there same way from 46 to 60 in just some ours.
Those tankmercs are incredible powerful upto 65. Even doing fire-red mobs they don't need heals when mobs are single and even tank throught a couple of red mobs. It seems they regen HP almost faster than one could heal.

I would suggest to stop at 51, 55, 59 to max aas, atleast the usefuls. Never those will fly by easier than in this range with the tank-merc.

Until you can get into POI just mecrolo the previous hotzone, actually don't remember which one it was.

If you want to box, take the mage and a second tankmerc. The petstuff is useful for both pets.

Just to hijack the thread a bit, but along the same lines.... is there anything really specific to watch out for in POI with the tank merc taking most of the damage? I am using this method currently to almost PL a mage box that I am working on, and I am now at the level that POI is open to me. The tank merc has blown through all of the content that I have taken her to so far, but I had not yet tried the planes.

One thing you might also look into is doing LDoNs, which I started doing at around lvl 44. I shrouded down my shaman to where it is within 10 levels of my mage. Then grouped up and with just the merc and mage... obliterated the dungeon. (I actually leave my shammy right next to the shroud vendor, and do not take her into the mission) With a single kill task, I am able to gain about a level and half messing around. More if Lesson is up to be burned. Once task completes, drop out and grab another... I would adjust my shammy shroud if needed, especially if the level had gone up. Regular missions almost all white and dark blue. Hard missions good mix all the way up to red. Tank merc can take like 4 or 5 at a time with my mage pet helping to DPS. Always be sure to grab whatever buffs you can for the tank merc, which will soon to be Virtue for you and your merc. And just for reference, I use the J1 Tank merc. This is the best you can get without Void progression.
Kruzar- Kitty Rogue of 85 Seasons
Kyleanea- Barbarian Shaman of 75 Seasons
Kruzar

Rogue Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Scalia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:24 pm

Kruzar wrote:Just to hijack the thread a bit, but along the same lines.... is there anything really specific to watch out for in POI with the tank merc taking most of the damage? I am using this method currently to almost PL a mage box that I am working on, and I am now at the level that POI is open to me. The tank merc has blown through all of the content that I have taken her to so far, but I had not yet tried the planes.

I haven't done PoI in a long time since I don't have any level-appropriate characters for it, but at one point I spent quite a few hours there.

There are two areas that are good for XP. The fist one is the circular area that goes from the ZI all the way back to the ZI. There are static mobs, often in clusters of 2-3, and a fair number of wanderers. The mobs that you will be fighting ("obsolete", "rusty", "archaic" etc models, clockwork bugs, some tin soldiers, etc) are all basic melee mobs except that one type (archaics?) is not slowable -- not that your tank/mage pair will care :) If you pull to the ZI and avoid wanderers, you should be fine at 46+ assuming that your mercenary can handle a few 50ish mobs. As you level up and get familiar with the wanderers' pathing/timing, you can start venturing deeper in. At 65, my Shaman (with Quiescence!) could wander around the whole zone, killing everything in site for fun and profit, although sometimes I ended up with 4-5 mobs on me. Oh, and if you see the Junk Beast, don't even think about it, just hit GATE! :twisted:

The second good XP area is the Factory, which is not far from the ZI and has bigger and better mobs (400 hitters?). It requires a key and is more of a grouping area since mobs come in groups, but I recall the XP being very nice there.
Tunare/E'ci: Scabon, 80 Shaman
Scalia

Server: Tunare (E'ci)

Shaman Main

Postby Kumudil » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:55 pm

Kruzar wrote:Just to hijack the thread a bit, but along the same lines.... is there anything really specific to watch out for in POI with the tank merc taking most of the damage? I am using this method currently to almost PL a mage box that I am working on, and I am now at the level that POI is open to me. The tank merc has blown through all of the content that I have taken her to so far, but I had not yet tried the planes.

At the beginnig try to single pull as much as possible. As long as you get singles the tank can go back to back forever. Every 3-4 lvls you might want to suspend and recall the tank. He only "dings" (and gets again white con to you) after a suspension. If you want to speed up a little, get the spiders bite potions from bazaar and help meele. Those mobs are resistant to spells but those poison-proccs land well.
The merc will even endure a double pull at lower levels, but after that you may want to have a break to let him regen back.

For single pulls I found the route starting to your left from ZI easyer. As already stated, about the Junk beast .. it will send you to bind :) I knew already about that beast remembering from ages that we had a raid to get it down and tried nevertheless. Got what I asked for: a free ride to GL.

Hot-Zone augs will dropp frequent. If you wish save the "coiled springs" for your local tinkerer. Those are used i.e. for all kind of collapsable tradeskill-containers. I am sure, arrived at level 60, you will have collected enought coils to find a tinkerer trading something like the rechargable Geerlok Automated Caltrop Creator for them. Snare is nice to have for a Mage (and not only a mage) and not easy to come by. This trap gives an unresistable snare for over a minute.
Kumudil

Server: Antonius Bayle

Shaman Main
Druid - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Return to Soloing / Duoing / Multiboxing