[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Persistent Casting

Persistent Casting

Spell, Spell Quest, Aura, Discipline and AA discussion.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Persistent Casting

Postby Adol Krystin » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Does anyone know exactly what Persistent Casting does? The wording of it, I think, is poor. Does it make you get interrupted less, or is it solely when you maybe become stunned you get a increased chance to continue whatever spell you were casting to begin with?
Adol Krystin

Re: Persistent Casting

Postby Brohg » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Bakkan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:55 am

As Brohg said, it gives you a chance to continue casting after you are stunned. However - and maybe its just me - this happens so infrequently that I consider this to be a nearly worthless AA. Rough guesstimate, I would say trigger rate is maybe 10%. The avoid melee stuns AA (sorry, dont recall name and dont have my toon on at the moment) helped my casting far more than Persistent Casting did.
Bakkan
Bakkan

Server: Povar

Postby knytul » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:37 pm

dude, it all stacks up. and honestly, look at ALL our abilities. Everything is a Chance. Persistent Casting, Silent Piety....Everything is a Chance. The only thing i can think of off the top of my head we have 100% on..Is Fear Immunity. The only worthless AA's we have so far: That Undead Snare, The Unicorn, Forage, and Hybrid Research. Im sure there's more i just cant think of atm. If you want a few things to combine: Familiar of the Hooded Scrykin + Silent Piety + DoN AA's. Now thats some spell protection :D
knytul

Paladin Main

Postby Brohg » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:13 pm

Melee stun immunity. Healing Adept. Spell Casting Reinforcement Mastery.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Bakkan » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:32 pm

I am aware that it all stacks, I was offering my opinion on the AA and mentioning one that does a similar thing with better results. Since the OP's magelo links to a level 24 toon, I had no way of knowing how many and what type of AAs he has and was just offering my observations.
Oh, as far as useless AAs goes - dont forget:
Bandage Wounds
First Aid
Combat Medic
Act of Valor (though it does allow for more ranger jokes)
I almost cried when I got bandage wounds...
Bakkan

Server: Povar

Postby Abazzagorath » Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:36 am

Abazzagorath

Server: Drinal

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Berserker - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:00 am

My mistake, I thought knights had gotten Dauntless Perseverance with warriors.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby knytul » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:37 am

knytul

Paladin Main

Postby Occam » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:36 am

Occam

Server: Felwithe, Faydwer (Xegony)

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:56 am

The problem with persistant casting is that A) It's about 10% per rank and B) the situation in which it works is rare. Observe:

If you are hit by a kick/bash in melee while casting...
There is some chance that it will stun you (50%?)
If you are -not- stunned, you have a 90% chance of being interrupted anyway (Persistant casting does not help)
If you are not stunned and not interrupted, you can still be interrupted by push (Persistant casting does not help)
If you are not stunned, not interrupted, and not interrupted by push, you cast, but Persistant casting didn't do anything!
If you ARE stunned back in step 2, then your stun resist gear/AAs get a chance to save you
If your gear/AAs don't prevent the stun, persistant casting has a chance to kick in!
Even if persistant casting does kick in, you can still be interrupted by push (Persistant Casting doesn't help with this)

As you can see, the chance of the AA even getting a chance to work is small, the chance of the AA working if it -does- get a chance to work is also small, and even if the AA does work, there's no guarantee you'll succeed at casting your spell.

It's a pretty weak AA.
Unmei

Veteran --

Server: 7th Hammer

Enchanter Main

Postby Grungloe » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:25 pm

Sit on mount. I pull all of The Farm in DSH at once and can channel Aurora 1 out of 3 times.
Grungloe

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Cellan » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:20 am

Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:19 am

You misunderstand my chart.

Kicks and bashes have a 90% chance of interrupting when they DON'T stun. This is not a function of damage, this is just how kicks and bashes work. If you pay any attention at all, you'll note that even in a corner, kicks and bashes will interrupt you without stunning you.

The fact that you can wedge yourself into a corner doesn't make persistent casting much more attractive, because the majority of interrupts -still- don't come from actually being stunned.
Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Cellan » Fri May 01, 2009 6:37 pm

Far from 90%. I take quite a bit of kicking and bashing and hardly get interrupted for them with the exception that one of them does happen to interrupt. But unless I am wrong, the interrupt from a bash (thought kicks were nerfed) was a stun, because I have gotten many a stun message from melee attacks and know for a fact that Mob_01 hits you is not stunning me but rather the bashing is.

So unless corrected with something solid, then I'll go ahead and say no. Kick/Bash have a chance to stun you (Persistant Casting kicks in) to interrupt spells, but won't interrupt otherwise. And I believe when Immobilizing Bash was introducted in GoD someone even parsed it out on their own 2-box toon by checking STUN messages to see how the improvement to the bashes would work out to be.
Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby frocus » Sat May 02, 2009 5:46 am

Kick and bashes have a chance to interupt regardless of the stun component. It may not be 90% like Unmei stated but It does have a chance to occur. Watch as you get you shake of the stun messages after a kick or bash and watch for interupts. I'll see if I can dig out my parses from my last trip to loping plains but I had 4 or 5 instances of "you have shaken of the stun effect" which were still followed by your spell has been interupted. Channeling has an effect on how often the interupts thru kick/bash occur but I believe but persistant casting only stops the interupts from stuns.
frocus

Postby Cellan » Sat May 02, 2009 10:32 am

As I recall devs saying that channelling really has nothing to do with anything anymore and spell interrupts are based on how much you move and whether or not you get stunned, thus they refuned the Channelling AAs.

If you get a "you have shaken off the stun effect" message that means .......................
And if you didn't channel thru that that means ........................

The obvious is there
Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Tuathadendannan » Sat May 02, 2009 5:48 pm

Tuathadendannan

Postby Unmei » Tue May 05, 2009 10:56 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Cellan » Tue May 05, 2009 9:15 pm

I have been interrupted for push, I have been interrupted for stun. You say bash/kick does interrupts but I hardly believe that, especially it being 90%. Now let's say I have 5 mobs hitting, kicking, bashing me. That means my channeling of burst should be what .... 10% because with 5 mobs kicking/bashing me and having a 90% to interrupt outright would paralyze my casting ...... I don't see that in the game. So yes, my observations are very important.

And push that is part of a stun effect is channelled with Persistant Casting btw. You can get kicked across the room with a stun and channel thru still .... I am not talking 1/2 a step back either.

I am sorry, but your little breakdown of making persistant casting's chance of even taking effecting is opinion. You can take 4th-hand imformation from a dev but that doesn't make it valid.... if you have no source for that, then don't come here making a claim like it's a fact.
Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Wed May 06, 2009 2:44 am

Kick/bash can interrupt without a stun being involved. I don't know about the percentage chance, but it can and does happen to me. I run extensive parses literally every night I raid (usually 4 nights a week, 4 hours a raid) and I do alot of off-tanking. Any nights I'm off grouping, i still have my logs going and am generally parsing there as well. Plenty of times that my casting of AoM line has been interrupted mid-cast even though I wasn't stunned. If its interrupted by movement, it would only fail to cast at the end of its cast time, not in the middle, so that is not always the case.

Even on our own bash, we don't have to stun the target to interrupt a casting mob, I've seen that as well. You can interrupt an unstunnable mob. Same with Hand of Disruption, it doesn't stun, but it does interrupt. A stun seems to help with an interrupt, but it is not a required part of it.
Last edited by Normy on Thu May 07, 2009 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normy Truhart
"Wield your sword with full knowledge of the consequences."
Normy

Server: Tunare

Paladin Main

Postby Cellan » Wed May 06, 2009 7:10 am

Ok I can buy that. Do you have a rough guess of how many bashed you take and how often they interrupt you for it?
Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Wed May 06, 2009 10:23 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Hulkling » Wed May 06, 2009 1:04 pm

Hulkling

Veteran -

Paladin Main

Postby Cellan » Wed May 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 am

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Normy » Thu May 07, 2009 10:41 am

Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Cellan » Thu May 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Fri May 08, 2009 12:52 am

Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Mon May 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby frocus » Tue May 12, 2009 7:27 am

Hulk I used to routinely interupt the Skeleton Clerics in loping and they are unstunnable. About 40-60% of the time kick(when ranger friend around) or 2hbash lands while they are casting I get the interupt message.

Brohg Knights get to about 60% stun immunity from AA's and stun resist on gear totaled. 5 ranks at 5% plus up to 35% from stun resist on gear is how it breaks down I believe.
frocus

Postby Ughbash » Tue May 12, 2009 1:12 pm

Tunares' Froggie Shaman,
Hipitey Hop [Watchkeepers]
Ughbash

Veteran --

Server: tunare

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Normy » Tue May 12, 2009 1:31 pm

I vote knights need stun immunity. I'd pay 100AA's for that alone.
Normy

Paladin Main

Postby Ughbash » Tue May 12, 2009 3:06 pm

Ughbash

Veteran --

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Cellan » Tue May 12, 2009 8:21 pm

Cellan

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Tue May 12, 2009 8:40 pm

The difference is in the incidence of applicability. 30% of something you do constantly can be pretty darn good. 30% of once in a blue moon is next to never.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Unmei » Wed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

Like Brohg said. It's not so much that it's a low chance by itself - though it is - it's that it's a low chance with low applicability.

Look at it like this:

If you had a 30% chance to proc something on every melee attack, that's powerful.
If you had a 30% chance to proc something on melee critical hits that do damage that's a multiple of five on yellow con mobs during the hours of 6pm to 11pm, and only when it has been less than 4 seconds since the last time you were healed, that's not so powerful.

Persistant Casting rarely has a chance to work. When it does get a chance, it's not very reliable. and then when it does work, you can still fail to cast -anyway-. The overall change in how many spells you will succesfully finish casting as a result of this AA is very small. That's really all there is to it. Feel free to buy it. It doesn't hurt me any, but I want the other people who may still be reading this thread to have a realistic understanding of its impact on their characters.
Unmei

Veteran --

Enchanter Main

Postby Bigcat Daddy-o » Wed May 13, 2009 11:06 am

Well put Unmei.
I really need to stop reading these paladin boards. I swear I am gonna get banned if I ever post some of the replies I start typing...

Some of you boys been spending too much time alone with your Unicorn...

See? Now that is the kind of stuff that is just gonna get me in trouble.

Peace
Ride free brother.
Bigcat Daddy-o

Server: Xegony

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Magician - Alt/Box

Postby Ughbash » Wed May 13, 2009 11:45 am

Many AA's are more beneficial to some classes then others.

For example Persistant casting may be more useful to paladins who are getting hit all the time then for an enchanter who is nto going to get hit as much (usually).

So for one class it may be a good expenditure of AA, while for anther class it may not be.

*shrug* and if you are maxxed AA its not something that hurts anybody :)
Ughbash

Veteran --

Monk Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Warrior - Alt/Box

Postby Wyvernwill » Wed May 13, 2009 11:50 am

Yes, I'm sure it has some impact on the tanking side. However, of all AA's we could buy to assist us, this one I consider a low priority... Helpful, but hard to know what it's really doing, because it and the mod2 seem to do the same-ish thing.

However, given Paladin cast times (most spells being less than 1 second) it's not really a 'necessary' thing because of how fast our spells are. Just makes it that much more difficult to properly gauge.
Wyvernwill

Paladin Main
Berserker - Alt/Box

Next

Return to Spells & Abilities