Abazargaroth's Guide to the Coldain Shawl (4/16/03)

Timeless Saves - Herein is stored lore, tips, and sage advice for the Paladin.

Moderator: Paladin Mods

Abazargaroth's Guide to the Coldain Shawl (4/16/03)

Postby Valya Wanderfoot » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 pm

Aragir Lancot
Has severe hammer envy
(3/7/03 10:43 am)
| Edit | Del All Abazagaroth's Guide to the 8th Coldain Shawl quest
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Guide is courtesy of Abazagaroth

Well, for all you people that think getting your skills up is hard, I spent the last hour typing up a guide to get ALL your tradeskills high enough for 8th shawl. And you can do it in 30 hours and about 8kpp, or 40-50 hours and 3kpp, or in about 15 hours and 15kpp. Your choice. Next I'll write up a guide for the 60 paladin to solo through everything but the final battles. Because its just in my nature to help I guess:

(PART 1: TRADESKILLS)
-----------------------------------------------------
Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl Walkthrough (for the 60 paladin)
-------------------------------------------------------------

The Blessed Coldain Prayer Shawl. Its an intimidating thing for some people. For those scared of all the questing and tradeskilling, there is hope! The quest and the tradeskills isn't hard for your average level 60 paladin (or for those lower in level), and becomes very easy for your higher level and better equipped and funded players.

This guide is written from the perspective of the level 60 paladin, for the level 60 paladin. Remarks on difficulty will be qualified with estimates on what it would take for a younger paladin to get the job done, and for what the cheaper versus faster methods are. Most of the credit for this goes to http://www.eqtraders.com whose guide was used to get the trivials and the steps involved. A detailed guide which includes the NPC texts can be found at:

http://www.eqtraders.com/quests/intro.htm

This guide will differ from that one in including stripped down information, an estimation of what is needed for a 60 paladin to complete the quest, and will include my personal guides to raising skills cheaply or quickly.

The Skills
----------

The highest trivial on the tradeskill portions of the quest are as follows:

Baking 127
Pottery 162
Brewing 162
Fletching 168
Jewelcraft 182
Smithing 187
Tailoring 204-222*

*The highest tailoring trivial hasn't been narrowed down further, it is higher than 203, but lower than 223. In addition, most questers do the tailoring portion with 158 skill, and just prepare to collect components to retry on failures.

This guide isn't going to have a convuluted list of recipes to find the absolute, to-the-copper, cheapest method. It will post the quickest and easiest ways to get your skill high enough, but when there is an expensive turn, will list cheaper options.

Baking
------

Baking is very easy, cheap, and fast. You only need one recipe to get your skills high enough.

Fish Rolls:

1 Fresh Fish
1 Batwings

Combined in a spit or an oven, trivials at 135.

There are several spots where you can buy both fish and batwings from vendors, but a good spot is Freeport if you haven't tanked your faction with certain merchants doing the Soulfire quest or the Deepsix Cutlass quest. However, even if this is so, I recommend just getting a friend to buy them for you or make a level 1 character to buy them to reduce the hassle.

Get your Wisdom or Intelligence as high as you can (doesn't have to be very high, will only save you a few pp at most and 10-15 minutes, but if you are getting a wisdom/intelligence all purpose tradeskill kit, might as well use it) and start clicking. It is best to get into a good cycle and in no time you'll have trivialized those fish rolls. Just vendor them, give away, try to sell if you are hard up for cash, whatever.

I suggest you open all your bags, and have alternating stacks of batwings and fish, and keep the bag you are pulling them from position right beside the spit/oven. So you can click quickly and not have to move the cursor around much. Believe me, with the thousands of combines you will be doing its good to get the method down so you can do a lot of combines per unit time.

There you go. You've spent maybe 20pp? Something like that, maybe less, and one skill is done for as far as you have to take it.

Pottery
-------

Pottery is another cheap, easy, and fast skill to raise. Freeport is a decent town, PoK will also work great for lots of these skills. Just check out http://www.eqtraders and find a spot with all your components sold, so you have little running around to do. One thing to keep in mind about pottery, don't bother firing anything. Pottery involves making an item in the pottery wheel, then firing it in a kiln. The firing has a very low trivial, and takes a firing sheet which is usually more expensive than the rest of the recipe. You can't sell the pre-fired stuff, so just make them and destroy them.

Small Bowl:

1 Small Block of Clay
1 Bowl Sketch
1 Water Flask

Combined in a pottery wheel, trivials at 102.

Medium Bowl:

1 Block of Clay
1 Medium Bowl Sketch
1 Water Flask

Combined in a pottery wheel, trivials at 122.

Large Bowl:

1 Large Block of Clay
1 Large Bowl Sketch
1 Glass Shards
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a pottery wheel, trivials at 148.

Lined Poison Vial:

1 Small Block of Clay
1 Lined Vial Sketch
1 Flask of Water
1 Appropriate Pelt*

*Appropriate pelts include medium and high quality cat/bear/wolf skins/pelts, and zombie skins. Most other pelts don't work, may be an exception or two, but I'm not looking for them.

Combined in a pottery wheel, trivials at 168.

Maybe 200pp at most later, you've finished another skill. Also, if you go farm the pelts/skins (about 2-3 stacks will get you from 148 to 16 first, you can go from 1 to 168 in about an hour or at most 2 if you are a slow clicker. If you buy pelts in the bazaar, the cost will depend on your local economy, but at say 4pp a skin for zombie skins or pelts, that's still only around 100pp more to the cost. So if you are a 60+ paladin, you're time is better spent just buying them rather than wasting an hour farming.

Brewing
-------

Another cheap and easy skill, not quite as fast, but still not bad at all.

Fish Wine:

1 Fresh Fish
1 Grapes
1 Flask of Water
1 Bottle

Combined in a brew barrel, trivials at 62.

Ol' Tujim's Fierce Brew:

1 Barley
1 Hops
1 Yeast
1 Malt
1 Cask*

*Unfortunately, the cask isn't stackable, so I suggest finding a brew barrel right next to a vendor that sells casks. East freeport is great for this if you aren't kos.

Combined in a brew barrel, trivials at 135.

Faydwer shaker:

1 Elven Wine
1 Gnomish Spirits
1 Dwarven Ale
1 Mead
1 Cask

Combined in a brew barrel, trivials at 188.

You don't have to go all the way to 188, the highest trivial is 162 for the shawl. The thing to remember is research at http://www.eqtraders.com the component lists in cities to find a city with everything. Freeport is what I used, but most 60 paladins will be kos and not want to deal with the hassle. Anyways, a few hours, a sore hand, and a few hundred pp, and yet another skill is finished.

Jewelcraft
----------

This skill gets a little more expensive, expect to spend a solid 3kpp at least, maybe more maybe less, it all depends on your luck on successes as you lose almost no money on successful combines since the item sells back for almost component cost. If you have a chanter on a leash you can actually lose almost no money if you enchant every bar of metal used, as the enchanted pieces sell back for more than the component cost. But that adds a LOT of time for all that enchanting, but if you have a friend willing to enchant a ton of crap while you work on another skill, feel free, as it will lower your total plat spent by a few kpp.

There are many many recipes, and as always, you can look them up yourself. But here is what I did (I preferred to lose a bit more plat by working fewer recipes and accepting fewer successes due to further apart trivials.

1 Bar of Silver
1 Cats Eye Agate

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 24.

1 Bar of Silver
1 Amber

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 35.

1 Bar of Silver
1 Topaz

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 44.

1 Bar of Silver
1 Opal

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 50.

1 Bar of Electrum
1 Malichite

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 74.

1 Bar of Electrum
1 Jasper

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 92.

1 Bar of Electrum
1 Jade

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 106.

1 Bar of Electrum
1 Opal

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 119.

1 Bar if Gold
1 Malichite

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 146.

1 Bar of Gold
1 Jasper

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 164.

1 Bar of Gold
1 Amber

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 172.

1 Bar of Gold
1 Jade

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 178.

1 Bar of Gold
1 Topaz

Combined in JC kit, trivials at 183.

It looks like a lot of recipes, I know, but you won't be doing many combines for most of them. You can do more recipes to reduce the trivial ranges between them to lose less money, or do less recipes to increase the trivial range and lose more money. Its all up to you. Just bring about 4000pp, park yourself by a JC vendor, and in a few hours you'll be there, with one less skill needed for the shawl.

Fletching
---------

Fletching was another easy one, and while not as cheap as pottery and baking, it isn't as expensive as jewelcraft to get your skill high enough.

You will need a fletching kit, and you will be making a bunch of arrows. You can try to sell the better arrows to reduce your losses, I personally just sold back to the vendor. I doubt you will lose even 1000pp to get your skill high enough by selling back to the vendor. For each arrow you have four parts, a point, a shaft, a fletching, and a nock. Different combinations have different results and trivials, but you always use one of each.

1 Field Point
1 Wood Shaft
1 Parabolic Fletch
1 Large Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 46.

1 Field Point
1 Bone Shaft
1 Round Fletch
1 Large Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 68.

1 Field Point
1 Bone Shaft
1 Shield Fletch
1 Large Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 82.

1 Hooked Point
1 Bone Shaft
1 Round Fletch
1 Medium Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 102.

1 Hooked Point
1 Bone Shaft
1 Wood Vane Fletch
1 Small Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 122.

1 Hooked Point
1 Ceramic Shaft
1 Parabolic Fletch
1 Large Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 135.

1 Silver Tip Point
1 Ceramic Shaft
1 Parabolic Fletch
1 Large Nock

Combined in Fletching kit, trivials at 182.

Again, you don't have to go all the way to 182, highest fletching trivial is 168. However, considering what parts require the fletching, I'd go ahead and hit 182 just to be safe. So there you go, a little bit of time, a little bit of plat, and you're down to the two dreaded skills.

Smithing
--------

Feared by many, loved by a few of us, getting your smithig high enough isn't really that bad. You need to get your skill to 187, and fine plate still trivials at 188, so no need for the horrors of acrylia, shadowscream, cultural, etc. First off, you need to make a lot of metal bits. I can't tell you how many, as I smithed this part before the trivials changed, and I needed a lot more than you will need, but I'd start by making a good 4 stacks as an estimate.

Metal Bits:

2 Small Pieces of Ore
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 18.

Scaler:

1 Metal Bits
1 Scaler Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 41.

Dairy Spoon:

2 Metal Bits
1 Scaler Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 74.

Banded Bracer:

1 Sheet of Metal
1 Bracer Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 95.

Banded Helm:

2 Sheets of Metal
1 Helm Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 106.

Banded Tunic:

3 Sheets of Metal
1 Tunic Mold (not sure if that's the name, may be breastplate, can't remember offhand)
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 115.

Ok, over halfway there, 2 hours at most gone, and maybe 200pp. Now it gets a bit more expensive or time consuming, the choice is yours. You can do ornate chain to get a bit further along, but it is really more expensive even than buying leather padding in the bazaar, so its not really worth it.

You need to start by getting several stacks of:

Medium Quality Folded Sheet of Metal:

1 Block of Medium Quality Ore
Smithy Hammer
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, stackable, trivials at 36.

And either buy or make several stacks of:

Leather Padding:

1 Low Quality Wolf/Bear/Cat Skin
1 Silk Thread

or

1 Low Quality Rockhopper Hide
1 Silk Thread

or

1 Low Quality Rockhopper Hide
1 Shade Silk Thread

Combined in a sewing kit, trivials at 31. I suggest getting tailoring to about 60ish before making padding if you are farming it (or buying components in the bazaar to make it) yourself, because you will get about 25% failure rate at the trivial skill level, and in the high 50s it will become a 5% failure rate.

Silk Thread:

2 Spiderling Silks

Combined in a sewing kit, trivials at 15.

Shade Silk Thread:

2 Shadeling Silks

You will take these items and use them to make fine plate all the way up to 188. The rest of the stuff is store bought (and the MQ folded sheets are made from store bought components).

Fine Plate Bracer:

1 Medium Quality Folded Sheet of Metal
1 Leather Padding
Smithy Hammer
1 Plate Bracer Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 168.

Fine Plate Helm:

2 Medium Quality Folded Sheet of Metal
1 Leather Padding
Smithy Hammer
1 Plate Helm Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 179.

Fine Plate Breastplate:

3 Medium Quality Folded Sheet of Metal
1 Leather Padding
Smithy Hammer
1 Breastplate Mold
1 Flask of Water

Combined in a forge, trivials at 188.

Farming enough leather paddings will take awhile, but don't forget that you can make a skinning knife to degrade MQ and HQ pelts into LQ ones. Or, you can just eat a much higher cost and buy leather padding in the bazaar. That would get expensive however, so it all depends on your cash flow and willingness to spend. Keep in mind that if you are doing the final war with friends, you can work it out to keep 1 or 2 of the item drops to sell to cover your costs. I would prefer to have those items for those friends that might need, but if you are in a higher end guild, or have some real understanding friends, its an option at least.

Tailoring
---------

Ahh! Down to one skill, the big daddy of them all...or so it is made out to be. There is really one piece of advice I can give you, buy a gearlock, get to 158, and just take your chances at having to reget the items for the 6th shawl combine. You get your 5th shawl back on a failure, and unless you intend to become a GM Tailor, your time is better spend refarming components the few times it may take to make it. I personally did my combines at 165 + geerlock and had no failures, though some have had bad luck and tried up to 8 times with higher skill level. Whether you skill higher is a choice that you have to make.

Well, hopefully you will already have gotten tailoring into the 50s or 60s to make leather padding, but in case you haven't, I'll start from the beginning.

Silk Swatch:

2 Spider Silks

Now, you might as well start farming these and just get a solid 10 stacks of so to start with, cause you will need a lot to get to 158.

Patchwork Armor:

1 Ruined Cat/Wolf/Bear Pelt
1 Appropriate pattern

Combined in Sewing kit, trivials at 26.

Woven Mandrake:

2 Mandrake Roots

Combined in a Sewing kit, trivials at 66.

Picnic Basket:

1 Woven Mandrake
1 Steel Boning

Combined in a Sewing kit, trivials at 76.

Steel boning is made through smithing:

Steel Boning:

1 Small Brick of Ore
1 Flask of Water
File

Combined in a forge, trivials at 37.

Now, again, lots of choices, but I personally swear by greyhopper armor as the next step. You get the hides in Marus Seru off easy mobs, which always drop either the hide you need, or a low quality rockhopper hide you can use for leather paddings. This is why its good to work multiple skills at once, to make efficient use of farming time. Don't forget the bazaar, as you don't need more than 2 stacks of hides (and that's with horrible luck, more like one stack) and these hides are usually very cheap.

Greyhopper Mask:

1 Greyhopped Hide
1 Mask Pattern

Combined in a sewing kit, trivials at 88.

Greyhopper Tunic:

2 Greyhopper Hide
1 Tunic Pattern

Combined in a sewing kit, trivials at 95.

Next, get yourself 2 stacks of HQ cat pelts (hopefully you saved them on your leather padding farming run):

Quiver:

1 High Quality Cat Pelt
1 Quiver Pattern

Combined in a sewing kit, trivials at 115.

Now on to more painful clicking =)

You can go the Wu's route right away, but I don't recommend it, way too much clicking for all those heady kiolas, way to much farming for silks. Personally, I suggest while you are working on your other skills, you keep an eye out in the bazaar for crystalline silks (or swatches if someone made them). At 2-5pp each, its worth the cost for the time saved to bypass a lot of the wu's, especially since it doesn't really take many to get through those skill points.

Crystalline Silk Swatch:

2 Crystalline Silks

Combined in Sewing kit, trivials at 15.

Crystalline Silk Mantle:

1 Crystalline Silk Swatch
1 Silver Thread
1 Mantle Pattern

Combined in Sewing kit, trivials at 118.

Crystalline Silk Sleeves:

2 Crystalline Silk Swatches
1 Silver Thread
1 Sleeves pattern

Combined in Sewing kit, trivials at 124.

Crystalline Silk Tunic:

3 Crystalline Silk Swatches
1 Silver Thread
1 Tunic Pattern

Combined in Sewing kit, trivials at 131.

You avoided it long enough, time to hit wu's =P

Heady Kiola:

2 Packets of Kiola Sap
1 Flask of Water
1 Bottle

Combined in a Brew Barrel, trivials at 46.

Find a friendly enchanter and get a bunch of viscous mana made (can be made for less than 6pp each)

Wu's Cap:

1 Silk Swatch
1 Vial of Viscous mana
4 Heady Kiolas
1 Cap Pattern

Combined in a sewing kit, trivials at 142.

Wu's Sleeves:

2 Silk Swatches
1 Vial of Viscous mana
4 Heady Kiolas
1 Sleeves Pattern

Combined in a Sewing kit, trivials at 151.

Wu's Tunic:

3 Silk Swatches
1 Vial of Viscous Mana
4 Heady Kiolas
1 Tunic Pattern

Combined in a Deluxe Sewing kit (10 slot) or a loom (one in the bazaar), trivials at 158.

Now, I personally bought all but most of the heady kiolas (even managed to buy 4 stacks of those in the bazaar), and an hour farming in marus seru. I went from the 76 in tailoring I had from making picnic baskets months earlier, to 158 in a matter of hours, and at a cost of about 3000pp. Farm the stuff yourself, he cost plummets to maybe 1000pp total.

So now you can either take your chances with 158 skill and a geerlock or skill up more, your choice.

So that's it! All your skills are good enough to do the shawl quests.

------------------------------------------

And keep in mind yet again, that 1 or 2 of the items that drop in the 8th war will fund all your tradeskill to that level. Farming a few extra gems in the geo caves to make some extra royal velium armor can net lots of cash, most of the farming can be done at the same time for different skills, most of the skills can all be done in the same place, almost everything is store bought, and if you want to spend more cash to save time almost everything cna be bought in the bazaar.

Courtesy of Abazagaroth, who is no longer with us.

Edited by: Aragir Lancot at: 4/16/03 10:56:30 am
Valya Wanderfoot

Return to Tomes of Knowledge