[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 696: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - Old player coming back wondering about some stuff :p

Old player coming back wondering about some stuff :p

For stuff that applies to all (or none) of the classes...

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

Old player coming back wondering about some stuff :p

Postby Cypher » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:01 am

So Back when I stopped playing my Shaman was lvl 66 and my cleric was 65, I am pretty much throwing them away and starting over... I want to be able to check out all of the old content I never got to do , even if it isn't as intense/meaningful as before. I've been looking into Vox and Naggy and saw that people are able to kill then @ 52 with mercs and think thats where I will start.

I was basically hoping to work my way up the old raid mobs as I level up... I've been looking for a list but haven't been able to find one yet :(

Also I will be 2-boxing and can't decide which classes to take... I was thinking mage/shaman but wasn't sure if that was good for what I am looking to do.

basically what I am wondering is this:
A) Is what I want to do even possible to do by yourself?
B) is there a website that has a list of old raid bosses :p
C) Is it that hard to get back into the swing of things? I really don't remember how to play at all... which is another reason I want to start from scratch (minus plat of course ;) )
D) do people camp these bosses? I would hate to not be able to kill them because they are killed right as they spawn ya know? :p

This post was supposed to be longer with more questions and such but I get out of work in 3 mins lol

Oh and I know this might not be the best place to post this but I have been reading your forums for a few days and decided to register and post here because the people seem to be nice :p Sorry if its an annoying post ;o

-Cypher
Toadi 65 Shaman
Yuber 51 Mage
Xenoiron 50 Warrior
Cypher

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Re: Old player coming back wondering about some stuff :p

Postby fendaann » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:12 am

General FAQs see number 11. Mercenaries - with two boxes and two mercs you got a good group
http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts ... _id=157517

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq/posts ... _id=157288

Boxing old Raid content - After Shyra?
viewforum.php?f=31
fendaann

Server: Quellious - POVAR

Wizard Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Shadowknight - Alt/Box

Postby Mordoran » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:11 pm

I came back several weeks ago and picked up my weaker shaman, who I had created to experience old content. He was level 65 and is now 75.

I level'd a necro to experience old content, but I sadly got to level 51 in 3 casual days. You get 18% a kill at a good camp, up until level 40. Basically, yes, it's extremely easy to return to the game. Too easy :(. The new newb areas are fun, though.

There are level 1s who have solo'd Naggy, if I'm not mistaken. The gear is OUTRAGEOUS these days. My 51 necro has 3.5k HPs, and I haven't spent a dime in the bazaar.

The game will feel like WoW (only better, because EQ shaman are awesome!) until you reach Planes of Power. If you tackle some dungeons it'll be hard, but hotzones killed the incentive.

It's easy to solo raid content now, and it's depressing because even rogues are doing it. By solo, I mean with a merc. I've heard you can 1 shot kill the Avatar of War if you're a ranger or rogue. I'm on Firiona Vie, so people do camp some old named, but not obsessively. I'm having fun doing PoWater named, going for that mace I always wanted, heh. It sells well on Firiona Vie, but it's nodrop.

A duo box with mercs is awkward. Shaman + warrior has a long track record as the best duo, and unless slow mitigation is really bad, it's still up there. A boss killing group needs a warrior, either way. Your panther line will make him a beast. The best trio is probably bard, cleric, warrior. Shaman lose their power of versatility as more people fill the group, until they can become a 'dps' slot in a melee filled group. If you want to play a shaman (and you should) I recommend this: Shaman +tank mercenary. Warrior + healer mercenary. The shaman's tank merc will serve a DPS role. They have no dexterity cap, so he will proc your panther line often. Pet affinity will be a must.

Anyways, have fun with whatever you do!
Mordoran

Server: Firiona Vie

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Cypher » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:39 pm

Yeah I have already hit 51 :p I think my playing time is 1 day 9 hours ish... which I thought was pretty good.

the gear is pretty amazing, funny thing about all this is that I am gearing up all my alts while I am leveling lol... my warrior, who when I started was naked with 2 lamentations has basically been decked out in all the defiant stuff :p I got 3 plate defiant drops last night in veksar, not to mention all of the other types as well... and a few weapons ;)

I am on Luclin and hoping that people don't camp the bosses too much... I would like to be able to kill the avatar of war, and ancient raid bosses of that nature :p I actually have a checklist believe it or not lol. I know its pretty sad but there are just so many things that I have not done that I wish I had back in the day, and now I can atleast attempt to do just that ^^

I will have to try the warrior-shaman combo... I mean I have one that is lvl 50 already so it won't be TOO hard to catch up to my frog :p
Cypher

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Brohg » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:16 am

Avatar of War you can pretty much forget about. He and King Tormax both have very good droppable loots that people take advantage of to sell for plat, so they won't be left sitting for you. Droppable loots are extremely uncommon among bosses, though, so you should be good to go other than those guys.
Brohg

Veteran ----

Server: The Nameless (Innoruuk)

Shaman Main
Warrior - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Mordoran » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:48 am

Sounds like you have things pretty well figured out, but I'll mention a few more things, because I'm wasting time. I'm also not sure when you quit, so some of this may not be news to you.

The reason to choose warrior is that you simply can't beat their mitigation/avoidance. Also, their raw melee DPS is higher than shadownkights. You can't buff spells. Shadowknights can FD pull, which is very nice. Against bosses, warriors are the king. Their disciplines are so freaking powerful.

Pick up spirit of the puma/leopard! Do a few LDONs and get it (mercs count as person). If you puma yourself, the warrior (weapon affinity AA), and your pet, the mobs will explode. It's less viable later on.

They really beefed up AA xp, so get AAs as you go. Plane of Fire has been unlocked, by the way.

I love killing bosses too, and I had a transcendental experience killing Lodi, lol. I wish you luck and fun!
Mordoran

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Cypher » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm

I agree it will be hard to get AoW and Tormax but they are on my list still, I am not expecting to roll into the zone and they will just be up or anything. Thank you for the warning though :) AoW isn't on the top of my list, but he is pretty high up there... he trampled over me when I was farming in his area when I was on my warrior oh so long ago! Revenge will be mine! lol

Honestly I don't know too much about the game... EQ was my first mmo and I didn't catch on to things as quickly back then as I do now, so I am catching up to speed on things nicely now.

Well I suppose I could 3-box... Mage > Warrior > shaman... I was hoping to get an enchanter lvled up but that can wait! I am going to make a new warrior though I think.... the name I chose for my warrior was terrible LOL Xenoiron ._. Not exactly sure what I Was thinking at the time, but its pretty funny :p Do warriors go sword and board ? or what? :)

I need to look into those spells because I have no idea what they are LOL

REALLY!?!? PoF is unlocked!? ooooooo man! I always wanted to go there!!! HOW EXCITING! I was thinking about pumping out some AAs at 51... maybe get my other toons to 51 and 3 box some LoNs? I have never done any so it should be a bit entertaining for me :)

omg! I totally forgot about lodi! *adds to list*

I really appriciate all of the advice/links yall have givin me :)
Cypher

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Mordoran » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:19 am

Lol, it's not the WORST name I've ever seen. Maybe you're a fan of Xenogears (videogame), lol. Iksars make the best warriors these days, ogres don't need to get as many AAs, but other classes require less XP to level, and are arguably better looking. The nice thing is shaman are good at Plvling, especially with spirit of the puma, and he'll be your level in a day or two. Also, warriors dual wield while grinding, use shields when tanking beefy bosses, and (not sure if they still do) used 2 handers for bosses that riposte a lot. The reason for shields is that their AC is not effected by the AC soft cap. Put AC augs in all of your characters shields.

Mages are cool and powerful, but I would strongly recommend a monk (pullability ftw), ranger, rogue, or berserker. When you see the new shaman buffs in action, you'll see why. If you really enjoy mages, you should make the mage. He'll still add a lot to the group.

everquest.allakhazam.com if you've never heard of it. Best... site... ever... Click on spells and check ours out. But yea, I was in the same boat as you. I also started playing EQ when I was really young, and until I found allakhazam I was a total newb.

All you need is 2 chars and a merc for a LDoN. You probably have to beat 3 to get Puma. That will allow you to powerlevel 5x faster than you normally could at level 51. Just get it asap, lol. Make sure you do LDoNs in the right area~

And yea, 6AA per hour soloing in PoFire at 65-75. You have to go to one of the castles though. The aggro range is tiny, all single pulls. Hobgoblins in PoNightmare is another awesome camp right now, lvl 57 mobs. (lvl 65 mobs in C1, PoFire).

You should just start up on Firiona Vie if you're gonna be making new chars. You can buy raid gear on this server. My account expires in 6 days, and I may not resubscribe, but if I was havin' enough fun I would. So yea, I wouldn't mind using my monk or necro alts, and I could probably give you a bit of a Plvl. LDoNs would be fun, too. I'm just bored of soloing all the time and the guy I was playing with quit. Lemme know if you want to move servers. Shoot a tell to Gorbak, Raltis, or Drekz, or just leave a message here. Peace~
Mordoran

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Ceniden » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:08 pm

Ceniden

Server: Fennin Ro

Shaman Main
Paladin - Alt/Box
Wizard - Alt/Box

Postby Mordoran » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:16 am

Oh wow, that's cool. I should probably keep updated on lower level spells.

It used to be LDoN only, and none of that stuff was researchable. But hey, I went for 2 weeks without knowing we had a rez when I came back. I thought these people asking for it were complete newbs :D

And yea, don't bother coming to FV, the account isn't being renewed.
Mordoran

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby Delfino » Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 pm

Pretty much my advice for a new player is this. Try to find any players you originally had fun grouping, being guilded with and see about joining back up with them. The defiant gear they put into the game a while back is an inexpensive, easy way to at least get a start with gear. It'll be better than a lot of the stuff you probably came back wearing. Use allakhazam's spell list to see what new spells you can pick up, and to familiarize yourself with what new directions shaman spells have taken since you're leave of absence.

I can't speak from the perspective of a main shaman, though I've boxed one for many years alongside my paladin main. It's a great class with lots of utility and capable healing. You should be able to find a decent amount of family-styled guilds that are always looking for new friends and people to group with. If that's more of your play-style than you should do just fine jumping into the group content of SoF/SoD, depending on how fast you can get to the 70/75+ level range. If you're still taking your time in the 60's than yeah PoF is probably still a great spot to root/rot. Try to find some of the defiant gear and you can do very well. That should hold you over till you get into the SoD content.

As far as those old world named. A lot of them are still on farm status, due to reasons already mentioned. Don't let that discourage you from trying though :D . As far as a second character to box, it really just depends on what you're looking for. I've always done the shm/pal combo, so I'm pretty biased in the regard. There are plenty of good combos that shamans can work within. Plus, everyone loves a well played shaman :mrgreen: Good luck to you!
Delfino

Paladin Main
Shaman - Alt/Box
Monk - Alt/Box

Postby Cypher » Tue Dec 01, 2009 1:40 pm

Cypher

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Cleric - Alt/Box

Postby Mordoran » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:12 am

Let it be known, I'm playing EQ again. Just so it doesn't seem like the game has a high turnover rate or anything, heh.
Mordoran

Shaman Main
Necromancer - Alt/Box

Postby mackilvenny » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:03 am

mackilvenny

Server: Scotland

Shaman Main
Shadowknight - Alt/Box
Ranger - Alt/Box

Return to General EQ Discussion