[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4751: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4753: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3886)
The Spirit Realm • View topic - What dps class to add to box crew?

What dps class to add to box crew?

Help and information specific to the above aspects of play at all levels.

Moderators: Druid Mods, Paladin Mods, Shaman Mods

What dps class to add to box crew?

Postby Pugger » Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Hey all...looking to add some dps to my boxing crew. Went to do a search on dps classes on a bunch of different sites and i found like 500 pages of whining and moaning bout other classes dps instead of one really good one. There might be a bunch of good discussions here about this already but after spending hours searching elsewhere I only had a few mins left of "search before insanity hits" time.

So heres my crew: (lvl) (class) (aa) (gear) (avg dps put out on a trash mob while still being as lazy as I can running 5)
...90 Shm 5k aa (mix of raid gear and t4 group) (5k dps)
...90 War 5k aa (full T4 group) (4k dps)
...90 Bard 3k aa (full T4 group) (3.2k dps)
...90 Zerk Max (mostly T4 group) (6k dps)
...90 Cleric 3.5k aa (T4G / Convort) (whats dps?)

Sidelines:
...90 Mage 3k aa (mix T4) (shrug, i suck at mage, hence why the bench)
...86 Ench 1k aa (convort group) (whats dps?)
...85 Druid 1.5k aa (crap) (not sure)
...68 Necro 50 aa (crap) (not sure)
...54 Rogue ? aa (crap) (not sure)

I really cant run more then 6 or all the mice / alt tabbing on 3 or 4 computers starts to be counterproductive but ive been running on 5 for a long time. Want to add a sixth.

So do I just add a dps merc and forget about it? Lvl up the necro or rogue or maybe the druid? Bite the bullet and figure out how to box the mage with my setup? Pick a diff class to lvl up / gear? The necro or rogue would need to be moved to a diff account, the mage / ench / druid are all sitting.

I dont need extra pulls...rock it with the bard. Not worried bout cc...rock it with the bard / vp / tank dbl tanking and what not. Not worried bout burst dps as when i put the zerk into "show them your mean face" mode...everything dies very very fast. Im looking for sustained dps...good sustained dps...good sustained dps while still allowing me to be lazy :)

Not sure where rogue's / wiz / monk / ranger / necro fall on the dps spectrum...or where dps mercs stand. I love necro's but I worry it takes too long on trash to get their dps going as theres so many dots to throw. Wizzies...meh...they good sustained dps or our they more burst? Rogue sounds like a lot of button mashing. Could prolly do a hotkey rotation for 4 spells tied to an assist with a caster then forget bout em shrug.

Just figured someones bound to have some of these classes and could chime in with some relative data / thoughts. Thx in advance yo
Pugger

Server: Saryn

Re: What dps class to add to box crew?

Postby Pugger » Sun May 29, 2011 8:46 pm

PS...I could prolly get my hands on one of these classes without lvlng one as theres plenty of ppl with alts / mains that trust me and love free aa while they not raiding. So mainly just thoughts on best sustained / easily boxed.
Pugger

Postby Valdemar » Sun May 29, 2011 11:27 pm

Well, I know everyone is gonna say, "Mage". That would be good, for sure, since you mentioned EZ-bot DPS and no class does that better than a MAG. Surely, your group would benefit, even though you said you suck at mage.

However, I think your group is crying out for a RNG. At Level 90, A RNG can add ~430 ATK, 530 HPs, 122 AC, 137 DS and +4% double attack to each of your crew and pets with 4 buffs. Since your group is all sword swingers and healers, this offensive orientation seems to fit your current group well. Add respectable DOTs, heals, nukes, Druid root, Druid snare, and totally AFK bow damage and you've got a winner. Can use as outdoor puller and melee DPS if you care to do some additional button mashing.

Your DRU is also an alternative. You could use him as a debuffer and nuker or debuffer and DOTer depending. A few macros make a DRU an easy bot. I think you could probably get some respectable DPS out of your DRU and add some serious survivability at the same time. Don't forget ports. Porting would be a boon for you!

Lastly, I just have a soft spot for ENCs. Since you mentioned that you wanted a DPS class, this seems like a completely erroneous suggestion, since most people have decided that ENCs contribute no DPS worth mentioning -either directly or contributed. I disagree. At 90, ENCs have a 10K nuke. MAGs get a 15K and WIZs get a 16K nuke. I understand that AAs will make the discrepancy greater in favor of WIZ and MAG, but a 10K nuke is nothing to sneeze at. Fully controllable pet adds some DPS as well, about as much as your SHM pet. Throw in more contributed DPS from haste/attack buffs, mana regen (YES! This contributes to DPS), multiple auras, debuffs which make mobs more vulnerable, and I'd add mana reiteration, but that probably wouldn't help your group that much since none of the existing members are "nukers" per se. Anyway, it all adds up to worthwhile, respectable DPS. Another reason to consider your ENC is chain stunning for damage mitigation for exceptionally hard-hitting mobs. A few macros would make an ENC an easy bot in normal situations.

So, I say: RNG, DRU, or ENC.

Regards,
Valdemar
Valdemar

Server: Saryrn

Postby Pugger » Mon May 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Guess I can load up the mage and see what kinda avg dps I can get out of her without too much trouble. Biggest fear there is pet push. If its horrendous then im gonna be spending all my time readjusting all my melee's positions which = shorter camps as I slowly get more and more annoyed lol. Ill see if someone has a 90 ranger in DB theyll let me borrow to screw around with for a few days. The chanter I mainly got lvld up and geared when we were having issues on unburrowing with low chanters but once we past that event the chanter has mostly just been a crack monkey. Since the bard has ae mez and ae stun now and I cant safely charm pets without popping a blood vessel.

Im hella good with druids though. The shaman and the druid lvld up together like 10 years ago so Im used to what they can do...and the snare and ports would be nice.

Any thoughts on rogue dps (without constantly pushing the backstab / fade combo) or necro dps (on avg trash mobs)
Pugger

Postby Pugger » Mon May 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Played around with the mage and with the bards song lineup lol....nice results

Bard dps went from 3200 to 4200
War dps went from 4k to 5400
Zerk dps went from 6k to 8.4k
Shaman went from 5k to 6k

And the mage...with 1 hotkey = 10k dps on a trash mob

Think im gonna work in the mage. His mana falls a bit but every 5th mob ill just sit him down through 6th.

Either way...old group dps was 17k and 26k on a burn
New group dps is 34k and 52k on a burn. Not bad...dbl'd the groups dps by changing song lineup and adding a mage
Pugger

Postby Valdemar » Mon May 30, 2011 5:09 pm

Well, let me back up a second. When I made my suggestions, they were based on the assumption that you were looking for good (acceptable, respectable, worth the slot in the group) DPS, not max DPS. If you're wanting the best DPS you can get from a EZ-bot character then its MAG or WIZ hands down, no questions, and don't sass me.

BUT...the reason I made the suggestions I did was because you've already got a testosterone-laden zerg fest going with your current group. One dedicated healer (CLR), a backup healer who's running in semi-DPS mode (SHM), and WAR, BRD, BER who are all in! I thought maybe you might want to sacrifice some pure DPS for a little more versatility and group support. So you may want to disregard my suggestions based on the fact that my reason may have been based on flawed understanding of what you want.

As far as ROG DPS, unfortunately, I can't answer. I haven't played with a ROG in years, but I have seen other players on this - and other forums - complaining about the need to constantly mash buttons to control aggro. I like NECs, but they're a nightmare to get your money's worth out of them as a bot. If I had to go for easy and high DPS, I'd chose MAG or WIZ.

EDIT: Oops, I see you've gotten the MAG going. Awesome!

Regards,
Valdemar
Valdemar

Server: Saryrn

Postby Mendler » Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Necro if you want sustained dps. There is no class better at it. You setup 2 hotkeys and forget about them. They give extra heals, better dps than any of the toons you are using currently but yes it does take a little bit to ramp up but wellllll worth it. In a fast paced group, assuming thats what you are doing, you can get in 4 to 5 dots, send in pet(s), add some mana regen, procing heals and utility for wipes. Mage is a good second choice but still its not as good as a necro all around. Bard just amplifies what a nec does by a considerable amount.

GL with you mage though. I know plenty that like them.
Cleric, warrior, shammy, necro of Emarr
Mendler

Server: Emarr

Postby SBBD » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:24 am

With your current group makeup already having melee in it I would go with a Beastlord.There are several reasons for this,first theres the awesome bst buffs for your berserker,second you wont try and have to run melee and casters songs at the same time with your bard and third bsts are sick dps if run correctly.Their often on top of the raid parse now days.The down side of a bst is you cant just hit auto attack,theres much button mashing involved.
SBBD

Shaman Main
Berserker - Alt/Box
Rogue - Alt/Box

Postby Keltsete » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am

Keltsete

Return to Soloing / Duoing / Multiboxing